Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chapter websites...

Chapter websites...

I think it was discussed on the old forums, but how does a chapter go about making and updating the EAA chapter website?

Here's our placeholder here:

http://www.152.eaachapter.org/

And I've been sort of tasked with getting it fleshed out.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Hi Frank,

Login info was sent to each chapter's webmaster, or, if we didn't know who that was, the president when we launched the sites back in June. If you don't have the info, send an email to chapters@eaa.org and we'll get you taken care of.

In the meantime, you can find a bit more info and some tutorials here: http:\\support.eaachapter.org.

Regards,

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hi Frank,

Just noticed your post and I was also faced with this problem. I knew nothing about doing a web site, but the tutorial on the EAA web site and Webinars were very helpful. Also the vendor that they're using has put together a program that doesn't require you to write code. I also restarted our newsletter and am now posting it on line. It's very helpful to me to have a recent copy of Micro Soft Office to work up articles I want at the site. This way I can work something up and play with it until I like it and them up load it. I do this with our newsletter. Hal is a real asset here, and I wouldn't hesitate to call him. He or someone on his staff can steer you in the right direction.
    I just looked at your site and you might try something easy, like changing your banner just to see how it works.

Good luck,

David Miller
    EAA Chapter 1358
    President Elect

Sad Problem with DISTANCE CALCULATOR app

Hi, Hal. I, at one time had the Distance Calculator application working on Chapter 775's web page. The other day when I checked to see if all was well, the app was gone. I've tried to reinstall it, but now, after repeated tries, get the following error message when trying to use this app:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <compilation debug="true"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] chaptertravel.btnCalculateDistance_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +282 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +111 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEven t(String eventArgument) +110 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10 System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13 System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +36 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

I could use some help.

Thanks,

Gerald Garrison
    VP & Webmaster
    Chapter 775

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3625; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3618

Hi Gerald -

We just discovered this issue last week. I've been laid up for a couple of days, but hope to be in the office tomorrow and I'll see what I can find out. Sorry for the hassles!

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Hi Hal,

Could the address www.eaachapter.org be redirected to the chapter finder http://www.eaa.org/chapters/locator/ instead of the Webs advertisement page?

Thanks

Good question, Paul - I'll look into that and see.

Thanks-

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Hi Hal,

I was just made aware that the Distance Calculator App is not working on our Chapter website. Were you able to get this problem solved yet?

Thanks,

Gary Baker
    President
    EAA Chapter 846
    Wadsworth, OH
    www.846.eaachapter.org

Quote Originally Posted by ggbaker View Post
    Hi Hal,

I was just made aware that the Distance Calculator App is not working on our Chapter website. Were you able to get this problem solved yet?
    Hi Gary -

I'm sorry to say that the answer is "no", Gary, and I'm not sure that we're going to be able to fix it anytime soon. I'm looking for some alternatives to suggest, but, in the meantime, I'm recommending that Chapters go ahead and remove the tool from their pages until we find something.

Thanks -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor