Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 60 Minutess reports Serious Safety Problems for Allegiant Airlines

Do "all airlines have safety problems" violations and fines? Southwest has been operating for 47 years, has an execellent reputation as a place to work, and not just word of mouth, the facts are that they have never had a passenger fatality from a crash. They did once overshoot a ice wet runway into a car on the road and with a fatality. And bad as the passenger treatment may be on United which was sort of like Ultimate Fighting for one passenger, and both United and Jet Blue stranding passengers on the plane for 8 hours, no U S major carrier has had a single fatality in bout 5 years, despite the millions of passengers flown. No train, taxi,elevator, escolator, subway, or ship can match that record.
    I have no connection with any airline other than owning Southwest stock and used to own a small amount of Am West.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-17-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Better sell your SouthWest stock quick. An engine just blew up on a flight a few minutes ago, I heard on the radio.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Better sell your SouthWest stock quick. An engine just blew up on a flight a few minutes ago, I heard on the radio.
    So you think this is funny? A piece of the engine pierced the fuselage in flight seriously injuring a passenger.
    Emergency landing in Philadelphia. Not so funny Bill.

No it isn't funny. Just a coincidence that proves the cold reality that sometimes things still fail on airplanes and we at EAA should know that. And not call for the demonization of those that try to maintain airplanes the best they can.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    And not call for the demonization of those that try to maintain airplanes the best they can.
    Given your undying support of Allegiant in the face of and despite their gross maintenance and safety negligence, I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse. If you have a wife and kids, book them on an Allegiant flight the next time they're travelling and I'll pay for the tickets. Provide the booking information, proof of payment, boarding passes and your bank details and I'll e-transfer the money to your account. Ready, set, go.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    And I thought the story was quite well balanced and 60 Minutes gave the airline every opportunity to respond in an on-air interview and they refused. Why? Because after 50 years of investigative journalism, EVERYONE knows you don't lie to 60 Minutes. And if you do, you do so at your own peril.
    Well...Not going to speculate as to whether 60 Minutes is biased. Whether or not they are, it's easy for them to set up the interview to make the airline look bad. We don't know the amount of detail CBS passed on. Remember, the film crew has been researching the topic for weeks. Unless they know exactly the topic to be discussed, any airline rep could be blindsided.

The CEO, for instance, is not going to be informed about personnel actions at some remote station. Yet, if the cameras are on and he's asked "Why did Joe Smith receive a two week suspension?", he'll look either like an ignoramus or that he's stonewalling if he doesn't know as much as the interviewer did after a month's digging.

Unfair? Yes, but it makes a "More powerful story."

FAR easier to react to specific accusations made in the broadcast.

Ron Wanttaja

Yeah, it's called fear mongering. The media like doing that cause it's good for ratings. Bill G, SWA has been assessed with some of the largest 3 hr ground violations since the rule was enacted. That means they strand people on the plane like everybody else. They have also paid huge fines for improper maint procedures and grounded up to 40 planes at a time which they promptly blame on 3rd party vendor. Value Jet crash was result of 3rd party vendor loading O2 cans (hazmat) on the plane and improperly labeling them, a violation of existing rules. The parent company is responsible for overseeing 3rd party vendors so they are all guilty. Smoke in the cabin....sometimes engine compressors are washed and the subsequent operations puts odor, fumes and 'smoke' in the cabin. Of course passengers think it's the end of the world. I have seen pack ops in humid conditions that blows condensate out the ventilation system and people break out the cameras saying the cabin is filling with acrid smoke (insert eye roll here)

4-5 days ago a SWA flight was in the news because they purposely "flew right into a severe t-storm" and one passenger had to text their next of kin to say goodbye as they were about to die, the news even hyped it up with a flight aware graphic showing how the plane's path was "supposed to go" right through a storm. Of course, was not the actual path the plane took so they jumped to another graphic which showed the plane wandering all over the sky looking for a place to land. The path looked remarkably like a holding pattern but never mind details and facts that this is routine. Can't fear monger like that. Most annoying of all is news people think they have to use the word 'tarmac' at least 15 times every story so they can flaunt their made up aviation vocabulary and show the public how smart they are.

I would think an aviation board would know the news hypes up stories to scare the bejeesus out of average joe and it's not just aviation stories.

Sadly, today an engine exploded in flight, not just caught on fire, and the sharpnel broke the window and killed the lady passenger sitting there. The NTSB says about 3 or 4 of these engine failures happen per year, a very commonly used engine. There is an AD from last year on the fan blades, so there much be some history of problems. There is not much left of the front of the engine, just a gaping hole and part of the nacelle left. Dont know if they can find the specific cause. It was a SWA 727 and landed otherwise safely in Philldelphia. Prayers to the lady and her family.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-17-2018 at 02:21 PM.

I think ground personel who comfirmed the smoke from the engine were not "fear mongering". And I have been on planes with what you call condensate in the cabin, and it did not impede breathing nor did the captain have to evacuate the plane like they did for the Skydrol fumes in the cabin. And when the repairman left the cotter pin out of the flight controls and the Allegiant pilot was sharp enough to abort just before lift off, the faa inspector recommended max fines for this. Was he just "fear mongering to scare people? Maybe they didnt really need that cotter pin? Or they could have just waited for the accident and maybe found the cause in the wreckage.
    Your story about the SWA flght in turbulence has nothing to do with the 60 minutes report about Allegiant. Did you even see the 60 minutes report or just contest it from a vacumn?

Wasn't it great in the good old days when there was no investigative reporting to interfere and the world's largest luxury liner could put to sea with life boats for 1/3 thanneeded.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-17-2018 at 02:01 PM.

The uncontained engine failure is very similar to a 1973 incident with National Airlines flight 27