Thread: 60 Minutess reports Serious Safety Problems for Allegiant Airlines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

60 Minutess reports Serious Safety Problems for Allegiant Airlines

There are very serious safety problems at Allegiant found over several years by this study. For instance, in 2 years 100 major maintenance problems and 25 engine failures. The focus of Allegiant is to be a budget carrier and maintenance and safety has taken a back seat. One plane had to return to airport 4 times in a few month s due to in flight failures. CBS interviewed "John Duncan" of the FAA and got no satisfactory answer on lack of oversight on these problems. CBS made a "freedom of information request" for maintenance records and promptly got them from 6 other airlines, but Allegiant refused.
    I would not fly on them.

Allegiant has been profitable with as much as a 30% margins, but this is a short term strategy that has long term risk. One of the 2 big advantages that U S airlines has is its safety record. This isnt a major, but still a passenger boards a u S airline with the expectation, almost taken for granted that they are going to get there safely. Maybe delayed, maybe hassled or uncomfortable . but not really in danger. Allegiant is risking this. Think about Coca Cola, you can buy one anywhere in the world and expect is not to be contaminated, its a Coke. That is value beyond even counting. One big accident or even perhaps a series of incidents and folks might avoid getting on Allegiant, though many people look only for the lowest fare at the time they want to go and Allegiant has low ones.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-16-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    One big accident or even perhaps a series of incidents and folks might avoid getting on Allegiant, though many people look only for the lowest fare at the time they want to go and Allegiant has low ones.
    I doubt it will take even one big accident or a series of incident before people start to avoid an airline. Consider the two people sitting in the front. They know when maintenance is lacking. When jobs were scarce, they had a hard choice to make. With the pilot shortage, the decision is getting easier by the day.

I thought the story was biased.
    An airline that returns to base when a problem is noted or cancels the flight is doing the proper procedure, even though they know it adds to the number of canceled flight statistics (for 60 Minutes to glorify).
    Apparenty the numbers have improved. Why demonize a company and make it fall into bankruptcy? Profit is not greed, it allows for the money to purchase new equipment, as apparently they did recently.
    There are two sides to every story.

The FAA has a new policy of helping compliance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I thought the story was biased. Profit is not greed, it allows for the money to purchase new equipment, as apparently they did recently.
    There are two sides to every story.
    And I thought the story was quite well balanced and 60 Minutes gave the airline every opportunity to respond in an on-air interview and they refused. Why? Because after 50 years of investigative journalism, EVERYONE knows you don't lie to 60 Minutes. And if you do, you do so at your own peril.

I agree, profit is not greed. BUT airline profit at the expense of safety, maintenance, compliance and the lives of your paying passengers as well as your employees is not only greed, neglect and a complete disregard for the well being of those on board, it's also extremely dangerous and criminal.

Yes, there are always 2 sides to a story. But the Allegiant side deliberately and consciously decided not to show up to tell theirs. What could they say, how could they defend themselves against all the evidence and piled up violations.

And that FAA flack was a total disgrace and embarrassment. Firing him(and other FAA staff) is not enough. He/they must be held accountable and sued/charged with gross negligence and deriliction of duty.

And let's not forget who we're dealing with here. The CEO of Allegiant is the former CEO of Valuejet(remember their safety and maintenance violations and the Everglades crash that killed over 100). Same guy, same attitude, same culture oF indiffence and neglect. FOLLOW THE LEADERSHIP, IT ALWAYS STARTS AT THE TOP.

Bill said he wouldn't fly Allegiant. Hell man, I don't fly any deep discount, deep budget airline. Because common sense and logic has to tell you that the only way they can stay in business with such ridicuously low airfares is if they cut some big corners elsewhere. The biggest "elsewhere" corner is always going to be the huge expense of maintenance and safety compliance. So, make your choice folks. Save a few bucks or save your life.

SouthWest is a discount airline. Top of the list in safety, courtesy, etc., as far as I know.
    I wouldn't talk to 60 minutes, because they choose to edit as they wish and as I said it is biased.
    Even a brand new bridge in Miami can fall and kill you. I am reading a book about engineering failures: To Engineer Is Human, by Henry Petroski. No need for me to comment further, sick with unprevented head cold today.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 04-16-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    <*snip*> EVERYONE knows you don't lie to 60 Minutes. And if you do, you do so at your own peril. <*snip*>
    Sorry, just had to point this out.... Not poking at you, Floats, but your comment was a great opening for my comment. EVERYONE may know you don't lie to 60 mins, but they can lie to us, right? Go back and look at the video. Right at the start of the video at about the 8 sec mark, the book page behind the reporter shows a 380 degree compass....

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    And I thought the story was quite well balanced and 60 Minutes gave the airline every opportunity to respond in an on-air interview and they refused. Why? Because after 50 years of investigative journalism, EVERYONE knows you don't lie to 60 Minutes. And if you do, you do so at your own peril.
    Well...Not going to speculate as to whether 60 Minutes is biased. Whether or not they are, it's easy for them to set up the interview to make the airline look bad. We don't know the amount of detail CBS passed on. Remember, the film crew has been researching the topic for weeks. Unless they know exactly the topic to be discussed, any airline rep could be blindsided.

The CEO, for instance, is not going to be informed about personnel actions at some remote station. Yet, if the cameras are on and he's asked "Why did Joe Smith receive a two week suspension?", he'll look either like an ignoramus or that he's stonewalling if he doesn't know as much as the interviewer did after a month's digging.

Unfair? Yes, but it makes a "More powerful story."

FAR easier to react to specific accusations made in the broadcast.

Ron Wanttaja