Thread: Camping Oshkosh 1st time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Camping Oshkosh 1st time

I have been to Oshkosh before but just for the day. I would like to arrive on Friday 3 days before it officially starts and camp in camp Scholler in a camper. I’m not really sure how it works getting there before it starts. If I want to go to the north 40 or homebuilt or warbird area do I have to walk there or are the free trams running? Do you have wristbands if your camping? How about the official show grounds are you u able to walk around while they are setting up airplanes and in any of the buildings or is that area only open on Monday when air venture officially starts? Any info on things to do before Monday morning such as food vendors or daytime and evening activities on the grounds would be appreciated . Thanks!!!

Camping info and site reservation process is outlined on the EAA Airventure website.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/pl...ng-information

Limited trams generally are running the routes starting Saturday afternoon 7/21. Exhibit hangars are not open to the public until Monday morning, but parts of the Fly Market might be doing business.. You are free to walk all the grounds Saturday & Sunday, visit the museum etc. Some of the food vendors ARE open.

You can expect a LOT of vehicle/truck/forklift traffic on the grounds as the vendors all scurry to get this aviation city assembled in time for Monday morning. My first shift conducting on the trams is usually Saturday afternoon and it remains a marvel to me every year to watch how much is accomplished in 48 hours. All the airplane arrivals and the terrific volunteers getting them all parked in their respective areas is something to behold.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 04-14-2018 at 05:17 AM.

Saturday and Sunday before the show are the best times for pure plane watching. No airshow, but the arrivals are highly entertaining and relaxing to watch.

Thanks. That’s why I want to arrive early to watch all the aircraft.

And you will be amazed at how many other campers are there already.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Thank you!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Exhibit hangars are not open to the public until Monday morning,
    That might be the official stated restriction from AV but the practical reality is that the hangars are wide open on Sat. and Sun. and although there is not much to see except who's where and the hustle and bustle of exhibit set ups, I have walked through all four every year for years on either Sat. or Sun. with no hassle. Just make sure you just look and don't touch anything!

And parking is free on Sat. and Sun.

To the OP, I can guarantee that you will find being there an entire week+ will be SO much more jam packed fun than trying to cram it all into just a single day's visit. You could plan to spend hours or a full day in each area leisurely strolling all the exhibits, including the museum and seaplane base with plenty of time to head over by the flight line for the daily air shows. You still may not see it all and that's why we come back year after year. Walk till you're tired of walking and then grab a tram or bus to the next zone of interest.

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Hey guys, we just wanted to give a quick update on some of the new policy changes occurring this year at AirVenture. This will be going in our e-newsletter this week, but we figured we'd share it here as well:

The growth of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh is tremendous, but it’s led to some logistical challenges. One of them is the unique nature of the event: Unlike most events that can keep the gates closed until Opening Day, final AirVenture prep work is taking place while thousands of people are arriving on the grounds with their airplanes, motorhomes, and other camping equipment. To improve safety, security, and mobility in these final hectic days before AirVenture opening day, several new policies are going into effect in 2018. These new procedures will be in place from Thursday, July 19 through Sunday, July 22.

Grounds Access: Entry will be allowed to credentialed vehicles ONLY through Gates 33 (Waukau Avenue) and 26 (Knapp Street Rd/Theater in the Woods). Other vehicle gates will be closed. Non-credentialed vehicles are NOT allowed on the grounds, the same as during AirVenture week. Personal golf carts, scooters, bicycles and other such vehicles are also prohibited. The restricted area (shown on map) will be enforced in order to ensure safety for everyone involved as AirVenture preparation is underway.

Exhibitors and vendors within the restricted area will receive special pre-event lanyard credentials. While early AirVenture attendees — such as those arriving with their aircraft — will not require wristbands until Sunday, July 22, they are asked to avoid entering the restricted area. Non-credentialed volunteers will be allowed onto the grounds ONLY to pick up credential packets from their chairmen. EAA security will be present in the restricted area. Non-credentialed vehicles will be turned away or asked to leave.

Exhibit Hangar Access: On Thursday, July 19 through Sunday, July 22, there will be strict enforcement of access to Exhibit Hangars A-D. Only credentialed exhibitors and vendors are allowed during open hours from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. on those days.

Aviation Gateway Park Access: From Thursday, July 19 through Sunday, July 22, there will be strict enforcement of access to Aviation Gateway Park exhibit facilities such as the Innovation Showcase, UAV Showcase, and Education/Career Center. Access is limited to credentialed exhibitors and vendors, and only between the hours of 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. At 6 p.m. sharp, doors will be locked.

Outdoor Exhibit Access: Outdoor exhibits are not open until Monday, July 23. Visitors on the grounds before that time are asked to give space to allow exhibitors to finish setting up their areas and to exercise caution anywhere around the outdoor exhibit areas due to the presence of equipment used to prepare the areas for the fun hustle and bustle of AirVenture.

Thank you for your cooperation! This is a new policy this year, one undertaken with safety foremost in mind. There is a tremendous amount of work that must be completed in the final days before AirVenture opens, and we want to give our staff, volunteers, exhibitors, and vendors every opportunity to safely and effectively prepare for The World’s Greatest Aviation Celebration.

Banned
    Hi Sam Oleson,

I have read and re-read very carefully these new policies concerning on field access and restrictions between Thurs. July 19-Sun. July 22. My takeaway is that WALKING through the grounds and among the outdoor exhibit areas is still permitted. Please confirm, thanks.