Thread: AOPA Lists Top 10 "Airport Access Watch List"

AOPA Lists Top 10 "Airport Access Watch List"

Interesting the one FBO that stands out the most.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...ess-watch-list
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

What a shocker.

It took me exactly one time landing at an airport served by Signature to figure out that was something to avoid in the future. And this back-and-forth sniping between AOPA and Flying Mag over something like this makes me happy I dropped both of them last year.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Wow, a watch list. I bet they are shaking in their boots.

AOPA was successful in modifying the cost structure at some of the airports in their initial list in March.

I land at Sloulin once in a while when I cross the border from Canada. I don't get charged extra fees but know enough not to purchase fuel. Twenty minutes farther gets me fuel for 30% less. I did have a good experience on my last flight. I had a nice tailwind and arrived twenty minutes before the customs guy. I couldn't leave my plane until customs arrived and it was -10C so it quickly got uncomfortable. The girl from the FBO brought me a hot coffee and a couple of cookies plus a bit of conversation to warmed me up.

This discussion makes the point that you should know what services each airport that you stop at offers and what those services will cost. I stop at Hilton Head and patronize Signature there knowing that I will be filling my tanks with their expensive fuel but their location makes it worth the extra $$ for a particular trip. Great service. Other trips going other places I plan ahead to stop at a small airport that has self-serve. The point is know before you go.

I will note that at airports with only one high-end FBO, I have had great service at less $$ at MillionAir. They seem to have a different business model than Signature.

All of that said, the smaller municipal airports need your business. The Mom's and Pop's appreciate every gallon of fuel that you buy. So check ahead for services, but if you can stop away from the Class C airspace places, you'll be helping your new friends keep their doors open.

Best of luck,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    AOPA was successful in modifying the cost structure at some of the airports in their initial list in March.
    From obscene to reprehensible? They have no justification for some of the fees other than "We know people will pay it,"

Is the free access at Waukegan reprehensible?