Thread: UL Interested How to Fly?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

UL Interested How to Fly?

OK, new guy here But I have been around and ridden motorcycles, snowmobiles and engines all my life. Grew up on a farm and was welding a gokart up when I was 12 years old back in the 1950's. Can fix or fab out of metal not an issue, even have a small home machine shop.

Even spent 4 years in the USAF as a Air Craft Electrician, worked on the Cessna 310 up to B52's. At one time I had the books for ground school to learn how to fly.

Now many years later I got interested in Ultra Lights, Aerolite 103 or a Phantom (used) are some that caught my eye. So what books can I buy that can give me an overview on flying one? Yes I know you can't learn from a book to fly, but the basics.

Yes I am a Retired Master Electrician and worked in the commercial HVAC field a Union shop for years, taught and also have a ham radio license from the 1970's.

Most of the ultralight books are from the 70’S and 80‘s. Such as Ultralight Kit Book by Jack Lambie and others.
    Try Amazon used books.

Thanks for the Reply Bill I did check out that book on Amazon and usually they like to pop up with suggestions.... not this time! Maybe some other poster on here will have another suggestion, if not I will order this one or both.

I did find and order two Ultralight Airmanship: How to Master the Air in an Ultralight (Ultralight Aviation Series) and A Professional Approach to Ultralights we will see.
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 04-11-2018 at 05:16 PM.

I would consider the classic "Stick and Rudder" to be an essential read. It was written back in the day when many light aircraft had similar flight characteristics to ultralights, and the physics of flight have not changed in the decades since.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    I would consider the classic "Stick and Rudder" to be an essential read. It was written back in the day when many light aircraft had similar flight characteristics to ultralights, and the physics of flight have not changed in the decades since.
    Yes Sam I saw that one and almost ordered, but I have two to read now and haven't even seen a UL up close. I would like to take a test ride in one. Last flight was passenger in a hot air balloon and was NOT impressed. Pilot was bossy and a know it all, ended up sort of crash landing on a farmers field and started a grass fire!

Check around and find someone with a two seat FlightStar, it's about the same as flying a Phantom, only not as crisp. Kolb also has two seat, side by side, aircraft. You may find someone that instructs in one of those. Google USUA, you may find some ultralight instructors on their page.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    agree. Available in many libraries.

Better choice is See How it Flies. Download free and read. Google it.

I am UL, Light Sport and many other CFI. PM me with contact info for more detailed discussions.

Fallow up with Jedi He has done well by me. And that [See how it flies]is a real good read. I own one of the UL instruction books once available at the EAA store. Purchased back in 07. I don't need it anymore.