Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WANTED: Rutan's quickie q1 SCHEMES

Goggles WANTED: Rutan's quickie q1 SCHEMES

hi, I'm newbie on eaa forum
    but I'm looking for any plots of rutans quickle q1 or dragonfly

i've visited quickheads°com and downloaded a lot of documents about plane but it don't giving enough information( such as wing shape , metrics etc.)

I'm pretty open for any free/paid plans very wishful in digital copy for fair use
    ready to any tips
    thanks.
    Last edited by arseniy; 04-09-2018 at 01:35 AM.

You are aware the Q1 and Dragonfly are considerably different aircraft as the Q1 is a single place powered by small motors.
    There is a Quickie forum at,http://www.quickheads.com/index.php?...=14&Itemid=468

Your best bet is to buy a set of plans on the Quickheads site, these will be on paper. There are no CAD versions I am aware of. I did start to draw the Q2 in CAD but lost interest.
    There maybe some control system parts out there but they truly are easy to build your own. I keep finding original parts from one in my storage area but have never compiled them into one place. My Q1 has all my own design control system with everything on bearings since the biggest design failure of the early Rutan designs were the steel on steel control pivots which may be fine in a desert but soon froze up in the rest of the world.
    The original airfoils were of a very poor selection and should be changed out. They tried an LS-1 front airfoil, I happen to have bought the first set of carbon spars for this, but that airfoil is nothing great either and the high pitching moment makes a non linear stick feel. One does not get much lift from the wings either which causes rather fast TO and landings. Not something great out east here.
    Last edited by CharlieN; 06-16-2018 at 03:18 AM. Reason: New link added
    Regards,
    CharlieN
    President Chapter 968
    Greenmountainflyers.com
    Scratchbuilding a Piper J4 lookalike.

I changed the link above seems to work from my computer, might only be from mine.
    Last edited by CharlieN; 06-16-2018 at 03:20 AM.
    Regards,
    CharlieN
    President Chapter 968
    Greenmountainflyers.com

yeah, I'm understand that q1 and dragonfly are different.
    and I had hoped that there's a scanned version of sets you mentioned

Dragonfly plans

Hello. If you are interested, I bought last year a brand new set of Dragonfly plans. There are unused and excellent shape. I wouls resell them at same price.

Charlie,
    Do you see the Q1 come up for sale often?

I actually have the hotwire templates for the rear wing and LS-1 canard somewhere. As others covered, the plans are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by N517G View Post
    Charlie,
    Do you see the Q1 come up for sale often?

Only intermittently, the Q2 shows up more often, which is not allot.
    When working with the original templates, make sure the inner and outer wing templates are the same shape. Mine were not.

One issue which I consider a BIG issue with these planes, Q1&2. For some reason I can not comprehend is the control surface hinges were steel on steel. It took very little time for these to freeze up and make the plane un-flyable. I made the bushings in my plane from Delrin.
    Regards,
    CharlieN
    President Chapter 968
    Greenmountainflyers.com

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    One issue which I consider a BIG issue with these planes, Q1&2. For some reason I can not comprehend is the control surface hinges were steel on steel. It took very little time for these to freeze up and make the plane un-flyable. I made the bushings in my plane from Delrin.

Aircraft have been using steel on steel hinges since the Wrights built planes in 1903. Like engines, a little bit of oil now an then keeps things running smooth!

Quote Originally Posted by ulpilot View Post
    Aircraft have been using steel on steel hinges since the Wrights built planes in 1903. Like engines, a little bit of oil now an then keeps things running smooth!

And do you see any way to get oil into these hinges on these planes? We are no longer living with the limited materials that most all mechanical things were engineered with 100+ years ago. By the 1920s Bronze bushings or ball bearings were used in hinge points on most every aircraft. At least every aircraft I have restored or work on in the past 40 years has had bronze or ball bearings in them.

When you see one of the Rutan designed aircraft hanging in a museum, you will find the control surfaces are frozen. Last year my Chapter was donated a Long EZ project, it sits in the field behind my house. I can not find any way to remove any control surface without the structure tearing apart due to how severely the steel bushings have seized.

Too me it is so easy to substitute Delrin for the steel bushings in these planes and have a very simple non maintenance part, at least use bronze but lord knows how you will properly service them yearly.
    Regards,
    CharlieN
    President Chapter 968
    Greenmountainflyers.com