Thread: Need a constant speed prop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need a constant speed prop

I am in need of a new or low time Hartzell Prop model PROP C2YL-1BF/F7663-4. The prop is going on an I0-320 Lycoming.
    Van's RV sell them new for $7,900.00 but only to Van builders. A low time used one will work just fine.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. A new prop direct from Hartzell is $13,000. Whirlwinds price is similar.
    Thanks in advance for you help.

JP

Are you stuck on that idea? Catto makes a beautiful prop.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Glenn,

Thank you for the suggestion. Their web site does not provide much product information but I did ask for a quote. I will soon need to do a weight and balance to see if I can use a carbon fiber prop. Addressing CG concerns is a real issue as the plane has a pertinacity to be tail heavy and a 51 pound Hartzell prop would take care of that issue but so would a larger batter in the engine compartment.

I appreciate the reply, Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCrew View Post
    Glenn,

Thank you for the suggestion. Their web site does not provide much product information but I did ask for a quote. I will soon need to do a weight and balance to see if I can use a carbon fiber prop. Addressing CG concerns is a real issue as the plane has a pertinacity to be tail heavy and a 51 pound Hartzell prop would take care of that issue but so would a larger batter in the engine compartment.

I appreciate the reply, Thanks again.
    Your welcome!
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Glenn,

Just spoke to the Catto prop folks. They make a very nice prop but do not have a constant speed prop quite yet. They have one in development and are looking at a price close to that of a Hartzell and a Whirlwind, ($13,000.00). Thanks again for the suggestion and I thought I would just pass that info along to you. Have a great week,

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JPCrew View Post
    ...Van's RV sell them new for $7,900.00 but only to Van builders...
    How much is an RV tail kit?
    Bob Kuykendall
    HP-24 kit sailplane project

HP-24 Project Facebook Page
    http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
    EAA Technical Counselor

BoKu,

That's a good question. I had thought about asking a RV builder who has used a fixed pitch prop to buy 1 for me and I would reimburse them. I have bought a lot of items from Vans but they don't want to budge on their policy. I'm about 6 months away from completion. Many items on my bird are similar to the RV 7. I have a Smyth Sidewinder over 90% complete. I had a build in progress when my son found a plane which was complete. The builder did exceptional work and took the extra mile on everything he did. He passed and left the plane to a friend who stripped it and sold it to us for much less than we could have finished our built. I have spent the last 3 years building an engine and re-engineering a few necessary items. Much of the RV is like the Sidewinder with exception the fuselage is 4130 steel and the wing as a progressive airfoil. The wing span and fuselage length are about the same. The plane is less forgiving but the trade off is the performance. I find most RV builder do not have good things to say about the Sidewinder. They love their RV and the RV is a good plane. They both have their pros and cons. Like the prop, it takes the same model and diameter for either the O-320 or O-360 engine.

Good hearing from you,

JP