Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RV 7A Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    the original builder had riveted all baffles to the engine with cherry max. Spent most of the morning drilling them out so I could get the cylinders off.
    What does this even mean? The baffles are installed on the engine with screws. How could they be riveted?

Sides are attached with screws to cylinders, however, front baffles riveted to sides and rear baffles same way on left and right side of engine. Had to remove rivets in order to pull baffles off for cylinder removal

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    What does this even mean? The baffles are installed on the engine with screws. How could they be riveted?
    I'm 'baffled' by this as well.....yes, the sides are riveted to the front and rear, but they are joined in the middle with screws (cleco clamps in the photo) so each 'half' can be removed. I didn't drill out any rivets when I did an engine overhaul on my RV-6 O-320.

Name:  finish77.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  24.1 KB
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 04-12-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

RV-6 owner here. 10-12 hours of focused time to do the inspection. Add 50% for the loss of efficiency due to drop in visitors, potty breaks, interest net surfing on the phone, and the like.

Thank you Sam. If you add a baffle attached to the center line of engine from front to back, you will have an idea of what I had to take apart to pull cylinders. New owner is trying to contact builder about this, but no luck yet.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    Thank you Sam. If you add a baffle attached to the center line of engine from front to back, you will have an idea of what I had to take apart to pull cylinders. New owner is trying to contact builder about this, but no luck yet.
    That is most definitely a roll-your-own mod, don't know why it was done.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Sounds like a classic case of over-building something.

I think we've all done it.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.