Thread: Troubleshoot Solidworks crashes using Solidworks Rx bypass Tools/Options safe mode

Troubleshoot Solidworks crashes using Solidworks Rx bypass Tools/Options safe mode

Hi Solidworks users,

I'm looking for advice on how to determine which Tools/Options settings are causing crashes.

Here's what is happening:
    When I run SW using whatever the default options/tools are (it's a new/clean install, no prior versions, haven't changed anything), I'm able to start a new part, select plane, sketch, then select a drawing tool (line, rectangle, circle, etc.), and then the instant I click in the drawing space, it crashes. Also, I can open an existing part, move it, change views, etc. but again- if I try to actually sketch anything, it crashes instantly.

When I try the first safe mode in SW Rx using OpenGL:
    I'm able to sketch lines, rectangles, etc. without crashing, however it is so incredibly slow to refresh/redraw it's basically unusable in the OpenGL mode.

When I use the second safe mode in SW Rx bypassing the tools/options settings:
    It runs fast and flawlessly! I can sketch complete parts and haven't had any issues whatsoever with crashing or performance.

So how do I figure out exactly which tool/option is causing crashes when I try to run SW normally (not in safe mode)?
    And then how does one disable whatever tool/option that's causing SW to crash?

Thanks in advance,

-Erik

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Hi Eric,

I'm no expert on fixing crashes, but l'll try, no promises.

First, we need some details of your setup - what version of SW are you running? Windows 10?
    I suspect you have a hardware/software compatibility problem - RAM memory?, CPU?, Graphics Card (does it have hardware OPENGL support?). What screen resolution are you running?
    Is your computer one of the declared configurations tested and supported by DS/SW? (I know it won't help you much if it turns out that your hardware configuration has not been tested.)

Apologies for answering your questions with more questions.

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for the reply!

Setup:
    SW 2017-2018 student edition, it's the most recent version available via EAA's student license, I followed the directions on the EAA site and corresponding emails, installed using default options, no deviations. Win 10 64bit, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7-7500U CPU, 4k HD 3840x2160 display, *no* the config and graphics card (Intel HD 620) are *not* listed/tested, however people are successful with this graphics card so I don't think that's it: e.g. see https://michaellord.me/2017/04/03/so...60-solidworks/
    I assume when running SW in the bypass tools/options safe mode it must be using my graphics card, and it works fine in this mode.
    No- the OpenGL safe mode doesn't work for me.

How do I figure out what is being bypassed when running the bypass tools/options settings safe mode compared to running SW normally?
    Are there log files or config files or some settings menus that I can compare between the bypass safe mode and a "normal" mode?

If I can figure out what tools/options are bypassed in the safe mode, maybe I can re-run SW in an iterative manner and re-enable (or disable) each tool/option setting, one at at time, until I can find the culprit that crashes SW. As far as SW Rx safe modes go- every forum I've scoured has people blaming graphics cards and the fix is get a different card or use the OpenGL mode (not options for me).
    I can't find any useful information on what the bypass tools/options settings safe mode is actually bypassing.

Hi Eric,
    I'm kind of obstinate - if you don't believe me ask my wife

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_P View Post
    .... every forum I've scoured has people blaming graphics cards and the fix is get a different card or use the OpenGL mode (not options for me).
    I can't find any useful information on what the bypass tools/options settings safe mode is actually bypassing.
    It doesn't surprise me that the forums blame the graphics card so I still (obstinately) think you have an OPENGL/graphics card problem that's causing your crashes.
    I also don't know what settings are bypassed by the safe mode.
    But I do have a couple of suggestions that may help you prove me wrong (no guarantees):
    1. Use the SW Help to Search for topics under OPENGL. There are not many such topics, but a quick read of each of them might throw some light on your particular setup.
    2. At the level of the operating system try setting your screen resolution to a more "conventional" level of say 1280x1024 before you open SW. At the very worst your crashes might happen more quickly .
    3. In SW look under View->Display. If RealView Graphics is greyed out, then it means that SW doesn't recognize your OPENGL hardware accelerator. If so, you may have no option but to run SW under software OPENGL.

Hope this helps.
    Jeffrey

Hey Jeffery,
    I concede, you may be right... :-)
    So I checked my Intel graphics settings and is says OpenGL ver. 4.5. Tried updating the graphics software, drivers, etc. Didn't help.
    The lower resolution of 1280x1024 didn't help. The RealView Graphics is greyed out in all SW run modes (normal and both of the safe mode options).
    I've been trying various permutations between different graphics card settings and SW settings with no luck.
    At this point the second safe mode seems to work just fine, OpenGL safe mode doesn't crash but runs slow as molasses in January...
    When I have time there might be more tricks to try with OpenGL- I found several youtube videos with various OpenGL hacks/fixes/tricks, apparently there are a lot of gamers with similar issues.

One last question:
    In the meantime I'd like to just make that bypass safe mode my "normal" SW running mode- is there a way to run it directly without having to open SW Rx first and run it from there every time?

Thanks again!

-Erik

Hi Erik,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings - but that's life.
    The idea of running SW all the time in Rx mode kind of makes my tummy churn. It's a diagnostic tool so it's kind of like running the software in "developers' debug mode".
    I had some experience in software development in the Fortran days but I don't know how to make Rx the default mode. Frankly, I don't want to know .

May I suggest you contact your hardware manufacturer/supplier to see if they have some after-market add-on or replacement graphics card - they have a vested interest in your satisfaction.

Jeffrey

I suspect the reason running it in SafeMode works is that SafeMode gives you greater control over what software is running. When you run SOLIDWORKS in regular mode, Windows loads a bunch of device drivers and programs on startup to make overall processes run better... kind of like a website downloading resources that it thinks you will need as you navigate the site. Here are the main differences:

Key changes in Safe Mode
    Most device drivers are not loaded upon startup, only those essential for primary function.
    Windows loads in VGA graphics mode with a smaller color palette and resolution.
    The words "Safe Mode" are printed in all four corners of the screen.
    Safe Mode does not run many files including autoexec.bat and config.sys.
    In Safe Mode, Windows tests the extended memory before loading.
    Instead of using the standard system.ini file, Windows boots using a batch file called system.cb that allows Windows to communicate with system hardware via Virtual Device Drivers.