Thread: Kawasaki T/A 440 Ultralight Engine won't start

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kawasaki T/A 440 Ultralight Engine won't start

I'm having problems starting my ultralight engine. When I bought it two years ago November, the guy I bought it from said it hadn't been running for about 10 years. So when I tried to start it, it ran for a few seconds and then quit. We figured out that it was not getting fuel to the cylinders. There was plenty of fuel in the carburetor, and the spark plugs were fine. We can't find any manuals online for this engine. The ultralight is a Phantom X1, and the person I bought it from bought the engine separate from the kit.

Thanks in advance!

Does it still have the pulse/diaphram carburetor installed?

Kawasaki T1/A engines were used in a lot of snowmobiles dating back to ~71 with the Artic Cat. There's a lot of information on the internet, you'll have to get creative with searches. For example "Kawasaki T1 440" + "Artic Cat" or "Kawasaki 440 snowmobile"

I have a old jetski with a Kawasaki 440 but it's the water cooled version. It doesn't take much to make it run.

Sitting for 10 years, it's likely the fuel pump diaphragm has dried out our the check valves are stuck. Is it a pumper carb or is there a separate fuel pump?

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Does it still have the pulse/diaphram carburetor installed?

Kawasaki T1/A engines were used in a lot of snowmobiles dating back to ~71 with the Artic Cat. There's a lot of information on the internet, you'll have to get creative with searches. For example "Kawasaki T1 440" + "Artic Cat" or "Kawasaki 440 snowmobile"

I have a old jetski with a Kawasaki 440 but it's the water cooled version. It doesn't take much to make it run.

It does not have the diaphragm carburetor.

Quote Originally Posted by DireFlyer View Post
    It does not have the diaphragm carburetor.
    clean the carb. If it's been sitting that long, it's gummed up

I did clean the carb, using a carburetor cleaner, I also replaced the gas, and even tried using compressed air to blow the tubes clean. None of which has worked so far. We've done everything short of dunking the entire carb in carb cleaner.

I'm fairly certain that something is blocking the tubes from the carb to cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by DireFlyer View Post
    I did clean the carb, using a carburetor cleaner, I also replaced the gas, and even tried using compressed air to blow the tubes clean. None of which has worked so far. We've done everything short of dunking the entire carb in carb cleaner.
    Well it will likely have to be disassembled and cleaned, new o-rings and gaskets, etc.

An alternate solution is buy a new carb and bolt it on.