Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daily food budget

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I can also recommend the Subway. They have reasonably healthy food selections available, and are not expensive. I ended up eating at least half my meals there last year and the year before.
    We visit the Subway almost every day, sometimes twice. It is near the confluence of Homebuilt Parking and Warbirds.

Our other frequent stop is SOS Brothers, which has a surprisingly good menu of brats, BBQ, fish sandwiches, etc. just outside the main gate (and under the big yellow balloon). PS, they sell beer too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    We visit the Subway almost every day, sometimes twice. It is near the confluence of Homebuilt Parking and Warbirds.

Our other frequent stop is SOS Brothers, which has a surprisingly good menu of brats, BBQ, fish sandwiches, etc. just outside the main gate (and under the big yellow balloon). PS, they sell beer too.
    There is also a Subway on the north side of Theatre in the Woods. SOS is quite good but it's expensive if you're a budget concious eater.

The honest answer for you is that inside the OSH gates food is expensive, you're a captive audience, so if you want to eat cheaper, bring whatever you like with you. Sit anywhere, enjoy the sights and sounds and people watching. Two best places to eat your brown bag lunch are Warbirds and Ultralights. Lots of exciting activity to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by biggles1998 View Post
    *snip* ...do they allow those small tin foil pop up BBQs in the carpark?cheersmike
    I don't think you can have an open flame anyplace other than an approved campsite, but I could be wrong.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    I don't think you can have an open flame anyplace other than an approved campsite, but I could be wrong.
    Carpark is outside the gates. Don't think the EAA polices them much.

Howdy, and welcome back! (I think this will be my 43rd.... but even with my shoes off I can't quite count that high...)
    There have been lots of good suggestions, but I would highlight a couple things. First, if you are driving up from MKE a cooler in the trunk is an excellent idea, as is buying supplies down there or along the drive to avoid the convention prices. One of my fallbacks are my favorite granola bars. I never leave the campsite without a few in my backpack. Apples travel well in a backpack, too.

If you are on the grounds early, the Tall Pines Cafe down by the ultralights is probably the best bang for the buck for breakfast. A couple favorites off the grounds are, as previously mentioned, Ardy and Ed's, conveniently located directly under the final for 27. As in, when Aluminum Overcast lands you might just get hit with a drop of engine oil. They are an old fashioned American drive in with good food and excellent root beer. Another is Fratello's, home of the Fox River Brewing Company. They are on the banks of the Fox river near where it connects to the lake. Lots of out door seating in addition to the air conditioned indoors, great food, a Cirrus parked on the lawn, and usually live music. And, of course, lots of conventioneers. Right on the north fence of the airport is Friar Tuck's. Decent food, air conditioning, and close.

For what its worth-

Sign up to be a volunteer. Work a 4 hr shift, and get free mystery meat sandwiches, chips, and a pop, or water for lunch. I've been volunteering for the entire week every year for the past 15 years.

I have been camping in scholler for about 10 years which makes it easy to bike back for lunch. Thank you for being a volunteer. Last year was my first year of volunteering and had a great time and met several other fun volunteers. Plan on volunteering again this year

Don't forget the awesome fresh homemade cake donuts that are right by the IAC building. It's a daily breakfast treat for us. PS: They also have some other breakfast items too. I drive back and forth everyday from Green Bay, so I never have supper there. But for breakfast and lunch plus a couple bottles of water and possibly one of those frozen raspberry or lemon treats, I usually plan on about $30-$35 per person per day. But like it's been said, you can bring in your own lunch or hit the Church Tent by the bus stop in the parking lot.

I make it a point to not eat on the grounds due to the inflated prices. Sacred Heart stand is the exception although its officially not on the grounds. Since I stay in Camp Scholler, I will usually head back to camp for meals. Chances are you will meet some new friends who will invite you to their camp for a free meal or two.

Nobody mentioned Walmart or Pick and Save. Both have a Deli where you can pick up some Fried Chicken and fixings for a decent price. Several buses a day run there.

Volunteering will get you a meal for free.

Grilling lunch and/or dinner behind your car in parking lot seems like another option. If the powers that be frown on it, my bet they would at least let you finish cooking before shutting you down.

I always keep some canned food in my truck just in case I get stranded somewhere or just need a quick snack. I carry Vienna Sausages in my back pack and canned ham, "potted meat", (or, as I like to call it, Spotted Dog) is always good and you can scoop it out with some crackers. No utensils necessary.
    Bob