Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17

And this is how much an aircraft is the builder versus the "kit" provided.*

My N11 is really a 7/8ths scale version of his N17, to the point that mine had all the N17 measurements crossed out and new ones for me written on top of them in the plans - and Dale's plane is way past basic function and into art.

I don't know if Dale mentioned it in this thread, but at every step he's talked to Robert Baslee, designer of the plane, about the changes and improvements on the basic plans....he's being very, very smart about deviations.

* "Kit" in the Airdrome Airplane world means a big crate with a stapled set of plans and all the items on the material list in it (but not the material list itself - that's a State Secret). The gussets are pre-cut, but every tube has to be cut down, bent, and coped. Every hole has to be drilled. It's a mixture between pure plans built and kits as we think of them today (CNC cut, pre-drilled, etc).
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Finally, coming out of the closet - er - the crate.

Last evening my wife and I removed my Rotec R2800 from its crate and mounted it to the motor mount.

Name:  m_DSCN1675.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  m_DSCN1685.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  m_DSCN1689.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  41.6 KB

The frame is not ready for the engine yet, but I needed to attach it to the mount so I can get measurements for the cowling.
    That is being made for me and the builder needs to know the length and where the holes need to be.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

Latest tiny footsteps. Like all of the other areas of this build, I have to divert from the plans.

The entire cabane structure has been modified to, in my opinion, look more original. That includes fabricating forward cabane sockets and eliminating the added fore and aft cables that are needed if built by the plan.

I also changed the upper forward cabane brackets so the bolt that will be removed when removing the wing is outside the wing, rather than inside per the plan.

The final assault on the AA plan in this area is to reposition the forward cabane cross cables so that they will not cross right in the middle of a center mounted machine gun. This meant designing some form of connection point to move the cross.

Here is the result and the attaching points:

Name:  m_DSC05059.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  m_DSC05060.jpg
Views: 1824
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  m_DSC05061.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  m_DSC05062.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  66.4 KB

This arrangement will place the crossing brackets and lower ends of the turnbuckles just below for forward fuselage decking.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Started forming ribs;

Bending fixture:

Name:  m_IMG_3072.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  41.8 KB

Using it:

Name:  m_IMG_3084.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  38.0 KB

Result:

Name:  m_IMG_3089.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  42.5 KB

Reshaped airfoil:

Name:  m_IMG_3092.jpg
Views: 1731
Size:  85.1 KB

Coping Jig:

Name:  m_DSC05063.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  88.8 KB

In the drill press:

Name:  m_DSC05064.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  42.5 KB

Result:

Name:  m_DSC05065.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  87.5 KB

I formed and coped the leading edge end of all ribs for the top wing. I still need to clean the coped ends and cope the trailing edge ends.

Slow, but moving.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

More slow progress. Fishmouth trailing edge or ribs.

Name:  m_P1020062.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  m_P1020057.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  39.7 KB

Attach brackets for spar attachment:

Name:  m_DSC05078.jpg
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  m_DSC05077.jpg
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  m_DSC05080.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  87.7 KB

Only 19 more upper wing ribs to format.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

After getting this first rib "completed", my engineering supervisor (wifey) said I should check it on the actual wing spars just to be sure everything fit. That part of the project is at the airport. I intended to do some pattern practice with my Citabria this morning, so I took the rib with me.

Good thing. The space between the brackets is just a smidge tight and would cause a lot of grief mounting the ribs. I tried at various locations and the fit was about the same at each spot. I will open it up about 3/32" and try a second one before doing all. Also, I want to shoot some primer on the parts that will mate before I rivet the rest of them.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Still creeping along. Since I want to make left and right ribs (rather than all the same), I needed to make a mirror image set up jig. I got that done last evening. I took an upper and lower rib part that fit nicely in the first jig, transferred the measurements to a second board, then lined up both ends of the rib parts and set the blocks. It came out nice.

One critical aspect is the dimension between the leading edge tube and spar. I set them at close tolerance on the first jig, so the second side had to be exact. I spent some time with a sliding set of metal sticks to assure the distances were equal.

Name:  m_DSC05082.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  89.3 KB

I will shoot some self etching primer on the ribs where the brackets attach, then start riveting on the brackets.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

I'm always impressed at how clean your jigs are.

Not just in the engineering sense of the word - they've only got what is necessary and aren't over-built, but in the normal sense of the word as well. All my jigs were covered in scribbles, shavings, random dirt, etc.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I have a good eraser.

If you ever are planning a trip below the AL/FL line, let me know, I'll take you on a tour. Maybe, even lunch or dinner. You know Panama City is only about an hour from here.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Last weekend Rose and I traveled to Thompson, OH to pick up the cowl that Rick Bennett was fabricating for me. Along the way we visited Frank Giger and Russ Turner. Both great guys and we had nice visits.

Here are a few photos of the cowl. (Rick left most of the smoothing of the outer welding seam to me)

Name:  m_DSC05125.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  m_DSC05126.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  m_DSC05127.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  68.9 KB

A couple days after we returned this arrived.

Name:  m_DSC05131.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  96.8 KB

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle