Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17

Hello Dale, we meet in gardener about 5 years ago. I kind of got the bug like you did but had to hold off building. I do have some questions and was wondering if we could talk email to email since I live in California. If so my name is Greg Eberhart my email is gelaq@Verizon.net. Question pertain, to land gears, bending process, the use of stainless. thanks

Greg, will do.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

Great seeing another AA N17 being built!Name:  2015091995135736.jpg
Views: 1818
Size:  91.5 KB

Fine looking Nieuport. I received your e-mail and replied. Thanks for the offer of advice. I will surely take you up on it.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Oh, that's a gem of an airplane!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Santa came a little early - sort of.

I have been trying to decide how to connect the flying wires that are removable from the wings without turn buckles on both ends. (Note: the turnbuckles on the originals are on the lower ends of all wing wires only.)

I looked at AN115 shackles, turnbuckles on both ends, making my own links to convert from the hole in the tang to a fork arrangement, custom made cables with inline swagged forks on the upper ends, or just suck it up and leave the cables attached to the wings. The shackles are pretty large and defeats the purpose that I twisted the tangs, I don't want to leave the cables attached, the custom cables are kind of expensive,, and making my own is just adding more time.

Then Santa dropped in. My sweet wife said she would buy me the custom flying wires for Christmas Problem solved. I contacted Aircraft Spruce and they will add the ends to the cable I already have (saves about $80), so last night I cut the cables, leaving enough for me to attach turnbuckles on the other end and they are off to A/S today.

Name:  customAssemblies.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  38.6 KB

You just have to love a good hearted woman - who likes airplanes.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Last weekend, after digesting way too much turkey, ham and pie, I started on the V struts. I initially mitered the forward aluminum tubes provided in the kit although I always intended to make the final struts out of wood.

With the front struts where I could put them in general position, I attached the lower V strut attachment plates with clecos.

Name:  m_IMG_20151128_140110_012.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  m_IMG_20151128_140018_255.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  40.4 KB

I did not like the kit design for the rear strut attachment as it required it to angle forward a fair bit, but the original was vertical. I determined that the forward edge of the rear strut should mount under the rear spar rather the entire strut mounting in front of it. Also, I went to the hardware store to get some 1x6 pine to make proof of concept struts. Here it the initial layout.'

Name:  m_DSC05038.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  30.7 KB

At this point, I have to take them to the hangar and final fit them and mark the actual cut line where they attach to each other.

By moving the rear strut under the spar, it results in issues on how to attach it. I have decided to make fittings that include straps that go around the spar and the ends bolt together along the lines of adel clamps. Just one more thing to work out.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Santa in the brown truck (UPS) brought me a present today - forks swagged on my flying wire cables.

I now have flying wires - sort of. Sorry, they are kind of hard to see.

Name:  m_IMG_20151208_185909_036.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  m_IMG_20151208_185952_383.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  21.3 KB
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Shocked

Not a lot updated over the holidays, but I have "manufactured" the upper retaining straps for the cabane struts.

These are from 16ga steel and gave me a fit cutting them out. I finally fell back on my air conditioning sheet metal hand tools, the grinder and sander.

I'll post photos later.

Name:  m_IMG_20160104_164918_801.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  45.7 KB

For some reason, the system cannot find the other photos of making these straps, so you only get this one.
    Last edited by bookmaker; 01-06-2016 at 01:54 PM.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Here we go.

Name:  m_DSC05039.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  m_DSC05041.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  m_DSC05042.jpg
Views: 1199