Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17

Ron, one thing to consider on the N17 is that the ailerons are on the upper wing only.

I see your points, but having aileron control is critical. Also, the Nieuport is actually not a Biplane, it is a Sesquiplane (sp?). The lower wing area is so small, it is considered a 1 and 1/2 winger.

I will do a little more research on biplane wing layout in any case.

I had one of my A&P,IA friends look at it last weekend asked if he saw anything that caused him problems. His only comment was the use of "non-structural" pop rivets. We discussed the load issues related to speeds, limited G factors and no aerobatics. He understood the theory of the "cheap" rivets.

Dale
    Last edited by bookmaker; 10-22-2015 at 12:09 PM.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

There were more than a few eyebrows raised at my EAA meeting when the subject of pop rivets and the lack of deburring came up.

Not to derail the thread, but at the airport a fellow came by to see it and proclaimed he'd never fly "in a plane like that." I gently concurred.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I just spoke to Robert the designer and he had a very technical answer to my question about how much wash out; "Just a little"

As for top wing, bottom wing or both, his answer was just top wing as the bottom wing was too small to really make an issue.

We also discussed the potential issue of the cable tangs. He indicated that due to the way they are mounted, and the loads involved, he did not believe there is a problem with them in horizontal attachment at the cable ends.

I think I will continue as I planned.

Ron, thanks for keeping an eye on my project and keeping me from doing something really dumb.

Dale
    Last edited by bookmaker; 10-26-2015 at 10:15 AM.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Quote Originally Posted by bookmaker View Post
    I just spoke to Robert the designer and he had a very technical answer to my question about how much wash out; "Just a little"

As for top wing, bottom wing or both, his answer was just top wing as the bottom wing was too small to really make an issue.

We also discussed the potential issue of the cable tangs. He indicated that due to the way they are mounted, and the loads involved, he did not believe there is a problem with them in horizontal attachment at the cable ends.

I think I will continue as I planned.
    Concur. Happy that the designer has considered these factors. Sorry to have inserted a note of skepticism, glad it came out OK. If I didn't care, I wouldn't whine. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Ron, if you happen to run into a young man (late 30s) named Robert Cavin, that is my son. He is an engineer with Oculus.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Moving ahead slowly

Name:  m_DSC05018.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  m_IMG_20151031_132240_596.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  m_DSC05022.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  m_DSC05023.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  m_DSC05025.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  m_DSC05026.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  56.3 KB

We have a biplane - sort of:

Name:  m_DSC05028.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  69.2 KB

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Needs more water on the floor!

Seriously, great work. You should find rigging a lot easier with a solid jig like that.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

It WAS there. The photo was taken well after the rain quit.

That's why the feet on the stands are pressure treated plywood and the firewall stand is sitting on galvanized lag screws. If you look closely, the saw horses in the back ground have the lower legs painted with exterior porch paint.

As for the rigging, I still have several more items to fabricate before any cables can be fit. Forward cabanes, V struts, attachments for all struts, forward cabane cross cables, etc, etc. But, it's getting there.

I don't complain as I don't want them to do TOO much to stop the water - and then raise the rent.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

A man after my own heart - I asked what hanger is the "least desirable" when I rented mine. Turns out the way it faces the rain tends to come into the hangar and make puddles - much smaller than yours! - but because of this the rent is substantially cheaper.

But it's got the 'letric and is more than enough room for my little plane.

A little more progress. Forward cabanes cut and fit (with a slight trimming needed).

Name:  m_IMG_20151111_191858_478.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  m_IMG_20151111_192041_120.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  39.6 KB

Port lower wing fit.

Name:  m_IMG_2804.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  71.8 KB

I "adjusted" the wing structure positions and got them squared to within 1/16" tips to tail post. I need to make some spacers for the lower wing attachments to hold them in position. The upper wing will be held by the cross bracing between the front cabanes.

I drew out a plan for the forward upper cabane attachment and will transfer that to 16ga steel sheet. These will wrap around the compression strut and extend down the side of the cabane far enough a bolt will be below the wing covering.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle