Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17

Ron, I just noticed you are in Seattle. My son moved there last year and works for Oculus. We visited last Christmas. Nice place.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

Playing with the connectors

Name:  m_DSC04994.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  57.5 KB

Maybe just build a Penguin ???

Name:  m_DSC04992.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  58.4 KB

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Moved the project to my hangar where I can start attaching wing structure. I built several stands to support the fuselage and wings. Unfortunately, I mismeasured the spread to include both top and bottom wing cores and had to spilt them and add 4". Delayed progress today considerably.

Fuselage blocked up and level

Name:  m_IMG_20151018_134231_793.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  79.1 KB

Stab and rudder mounted to check level. Looked good

Name:  m_IMG_20151018_134243_927.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  76.0 KB

Lower wing spars leveled

Name:  m_IMG_20151018_121654_003.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  71.5 KB

First wing attached (temporarily for photo)

Name:  m_IMG_20151018_153014_970.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  78.2 KB

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

At first I thought this was the long way around doing the task with some over-building of rigs, but is in fact the same way I did mine (the Airdrome 7/8th scale Nieuport 11 uses the same plans as the full scale Nieuport 17 with different measurements).

Washout on the lower wings is done through rigging, so check the level on the outer compression strut later when you put on the top wing and measure for the interwing struts.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I will not build washout in the lower wing, only the upper. It is my understanding that in a biplane, you want the lower wing to stall first.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Not for nothing, check the plans. Mine say no washout in upper wing, small washout in lower.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by bookmaker View Post
    I will not build washout in the lower wing, only the upper. It is my understanding that in a biplane, you want the lower wing to stall first.
    Doesn't seem right, to me. If you've got a biplane with staggered wings, letting the lower (aft) wing stall first moves the center of pressure FORWARD, causing a pitch-up. If the upper (forward) wing stalls first, the plane naturally pitches down towards recovery.

Ron Wanttaja

Ron, not if they're spaced properly from each other.

The idea is that the wing with the least lift stalls first.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Ron, not if they're spaced properly from each other.

The idea is that the wing with the least lift stalls first.
    Well... as a Space Systems Engineer I ain't much of an aerodynamicist, but: I think it still really depends on what direction the Cp shifts after the stall. The combined CP of a biplane is between the individual CPs of the wings. Having this combined CP shift Aft when the forward wing stalls first is good; plane naturally pitches down. Forward is bad; plane pitches up. Magnitude of the lost lift doesn't really matter; what matters is there the combined Cp heads to.

On the other hand, if the two wings' angles of incidences are properly selected, you can ensure the top wing will stall first even with the washout. In this case, the washout keeps the ailerons effective closer to the stall.

Ron Wanttaja

I'm relying on all of the stuff being pre-designed in - and by all accounts they pretty much mush and then stall cleanly. Maybe the lower wing needs the washout to stall with the upper one, or to prevent spins?

The last time I asked Robert Baslee (Designer, builder, holder of many relevant degrees) about aeronautical stuff and design he forgot who he was talking to and had me glassy-eyed in about twenty seconds.

Of course with these high-drag, low speed aircraft one could chop throttle, push the stick forward, and put an arm out against the spin to correct it.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 10-21-2015 at 07:21 PM.