Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17

Yep, I meant washout....setting the dihedral was a cinch.

I really don't have washout on the lower wing, though the handwritten addition said to put it in there - no washout on the upper wing.

I'll have to scan that page.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

The first attempt attempting to cover the rudder didn't go well. I think the adhesive I have is too old and gone bad. We were able to clean off the adhesive by rubbing it like rubber cement. I ordered new adhesive so will try again.

Rose and I reworked the V strut patterns and got both mounted temporarily.

Name:  m_IMG_7416.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  85.6 KB
    Just had to try out the "pilot's" seat.

Name:  m_IMG_7413.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  76.2 KB

The zebra stripes on the knees are from a kneeling pad that has alternating yellow and black. Apparently the black is deteriorating. The sweat is all mine.

Now that the temporary V struts are in place we can fit the landing wires. They should be here Thursday with factory forks on one end.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

That's the nice thing about practicing on the rudder - it's easy to strip, clean and try again on.

I did break down and buy actual Stewart's fabric glue, mostly because the 3M stuff Robert provided was pretty gummy by the time I cracked it open.

Your seat elevation is spot on, but I suspect you'll wind up making the same mod to the push rod I did to keep it that low.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I received the fresh 3M Fastbond today. Hopefully I can try it in the next few days. I hope to do it in an air conditioned area so it's not so darn hot and humid. May make a difference.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

What, you don't like painting a six inch long strip of glue to see that when the brush reaches the end, the front is dry?

Landing wires installed today.

Name:  m_20180818_140709_1534622760651.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  52.9 KB Name:  m_20180818_140725_1534622729457.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  m_20180818_140734_1534622729347.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  40.9 KB Name:  m_20180818_140756_1534622654719.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  35.5 KB
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

One half of the rudder is now covered.

Name:  m_20180819_160516_1534712830993.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  33.2 KB Name:  m_20180819_160527_1534712830749.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  34.6 KB

Unfortunately, when I opened the adhesive jug, I found it was neutral color rather than green that I thought I ordered. Previously while watching Shirley Girard working on Russ Turner's Camel wings with neutral Stewarts adhesive, she noted she was adding a little chalk line blue to give a little color so she could see where she was working. I found it to be very difficult as well.

I am not sure if the SS adhesive is really different than the 3M (although several have posted that the advertised chemical make up is identical), I did have some issues:

I could not get the fabric to stick to the "dried" adhesive as is done in the SS videos. I may not have applied enough glue. However, it does react to heat and sticks when heated.

As noted above, the neutral is difficult to determine where you have glue and where you don't.

There is a definite learning curve to do it neat and tidy. I do feel pretty good about the end results however. I will not try the other side until I have sufficient time to work with it and not feel pressured.

Finally, I need to get a different iron. I tried two and the temps seem to be unstable. I did not shrink past the 250 degree setting. I think!

Rose is going off for a few days, so I will not have a helper. I think I will wait until she gets back.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

I used the SS glue but didn't have much luck with sticking the fabric to the dried adhesive either.
    Loved the SS System anyway.
    ...Paul

Paul, as I understand your comment you used the "official" SS adhesive and had the same non stick issue. If that is correct, that answers a question I had as to whether SS added something to the basic adhesive to allow it to remain tacky. I have read several comments relating the posted chemical makeup of the SS adhesive is identical to the 3M Fastbond which is what I used.

I also suspect temperature and humidity can play a big factor. I tried in a semi air conditioned room this time, but it was either raining or about to outside pretty much the whole time.

I sure don't like the neutral color. I really had a hard time determining coverage. I am thinking of adding a drop or two of water based food coloring to the next batch.

I hope to get the other side of the rudder covering started sometime this week, but my wife is gone for a few days so I have no helper. I may just wait till the weekend.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

I bought the regular blue SS glue for a couple reasons:

1. The stuff in the 3M oil type jugs was a bit thick - I suspect they were pretty old before I got them, and I didn't store them very well. Getting a clean line with it was fairly trying.
    2. I spilled a helluvalot of it.
    3. The jugs did NOT seal well, and it can't be reconstituted. For some reason, the SS containers sealed much better.

[edit]

A lot of guys will say they really enjoy covering. While I didn't hate it, I certainly did not put it under the "love" column of building, particularly since I never mastered tapes.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 08-21-2018 at 11:33 AM.