Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17

I’m in A&p school currently, I’m considering building this same kit in a few years. I have enjoyed this thread and can not wait to see more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's really neat to see how Dale is smoothing the rough edges of the plans and turning a very basic aircraft into something special.

For those not aware, Dale's Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17 and my Nieuport 11 are different (by plans) only in scale. So while my aircraft is sort of, um, average and rough around the edges, using the same plans and materials - and a little more time and effort - he's coming up with a real gem.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Thanks to both of you. As Frank said, I am trying adjust the basic plan to be more accurate in outline. Robert's basic plan is solid but is geared toward rapid build at some expense to scale outline. Mine will still not be an accurate representation, but will be closer.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

And it must be said that every modification worthy of serious attention was planned and made with communication with Robert Baslee, who designed these aircraft.

Mr. Baslee is fantastic for communicating complex engineering and aeronautical concepts to the builder.

Dale: "I want to reduce the sweep, lower the airfoil, and change the front cabanes to a rigid structure that will eliminate the second set of cross wires."
    Robert: "Certainly that can be done using an so-and-so airfoil instead, and after looking at what you're planning find no problem with it. There are a few considerations you have to take into account..."

Me: "The back bottom wing cross tube-y things won't go in like the paper says, as the bottom fuselage tubes are in the way. Can I lift them up a little?"
    Robert: "How much is a little?"
    Me: "About 3/8 an inch."
    Robert: "Yes, but make sure the cross tube-y thing - they're called carry throughs - aren't touching the lower longeron, which is what we call the main fuselage tubes."

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I finally got a chance to make a little progress. After coming down with food poisoning last weekend, there was no hope of working on it then.

Rose helped me complete the basic structure of the aileron this morning. Torque tube tip was trimmed, extension added, extension measured, drilled and flattened to fit aileron trailing edge/ tip. Then all riveted together.

Name:  m_DSCN2004.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  70.2 KB Name:  m_DSCN2005.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  69.1 KB Name:  m_DSCN2006.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  53.4 KB

Next is the aileron leading edge and aileron cutout fairings. Finally, the pilot cut out area and fairings around the wishbone will complete the wing.
    Last edited by bookmaker; 02-11-2018 at 04:22 AM.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Started the owner assist annual on my Citabria, but had a little time to work on the Nieuport aileron.

There are 4 pieces that make up the leading edge of the aileron. They must be curved in approx 4" diameter curve. I am using a jig of 2x4's, PVC and steel pipe. It's a real pain. I got the longest piece and a little 1" long piece formed and clecoed to the ribs. It was really warm and muggy and I needed to quit.

Progress:

Name:  m_DSCN2007.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  101.3 KB Name:  m_DSCN2008.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  98.3 KB
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

More inches along the road.

Second piece of aileron leading edge fit along with the shrouds around the hinge slots. Still need to cut the outer hinge slot and fit the tip piece.

Name:  m_DSCN2010.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  53.5 KB Name:  m_DSCN2011.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  30.7 KB Name:  m_DSCN2012.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  34.0 KB Name:  m_DSCN2013.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  31.5 KB

Here is what the hinge slots look like on the other wing.

Name:  m_DSCN2014.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  34.1 KB Name:  m_DSCN2015.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  35.7 KB

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

A few more inches today.

Name:  m_DSCN2016.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  49.4 KB

Two aileron leading edge pieces permanently attached. One more to go - the tip - also the most difficult.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Working around tons of stuff that needed to be done around the house, I (with Rose's help) finally completed the aileron leading edge sheeting. It is amazing how many hours it takes to install 3 pieces of aluminum.

Name:  m_DSCN2021.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  53.2 KB

Well, actually there are still two braces that go under the outer hinge shrouds to support them. Then on to the aileron cutout trailing edge fairings.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Um, what the heck is an aileron cutout trailing edge fairing?