Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17

Hello All.

Although I have a build thread going on at www.theaerodrome.com, I thought I would follow Frank's lead and post something of my project here.

I am building the full sized version of the Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17. Since I am 6'2" and range between 210 and 220, I felt the 7/8 scale would not suit me. I got the bug to build one of these planes when I attended Dawn Patrol Rendezvous in 2007. I was bitten bad, but got over it. I went again in 2009, but really didn't get much of the bug that time. However, for some reason in the fall of 2010, I got the bug again, and the rest is history.

I ordered the Graham Lee plan book first, then decided I needed a kit rather than try it from scratch. I chose the AA kit as I felt it was one of the few homebuilt plane projects that I had a reasonable chance of completing. (It took me 6 years to build a car kit.) I was deeply interested in the Nieuport 28, but was drawn to the N 17 as I have a 1/6 scale VK N 17 painted in Lufbery colors. My other possibility was the Sopwith Pup. I also have a 1/3 scale R/C Pup painted in black and white checkerboard. A full scale version would be a real show stopper. However, at the time I was making my decison, I did not like some of the aspects of that kit (since corrected) . Therefore, I chose the N 17.

As for motor, I have a Rotec R2800 7 cylinder radial on order from down under.

Now some about me. I am a licensed private pilot with instrument rating. Although at the time I started this project, I had a tailwheel sign off from flying in a Stearman several years ago, I did not feel comfortable with the signoff, plus it had been several years. I found a fairly local gentleman with a Citabria and have been building tailwheel (and aerobatic) time with him.

Athhough AA advertizes that these planes can be built in 400 hours, reality has set me toward a 3 year project. My goal is to have it flying and restriction time flown off by September 2014 when the next Dawn Patrol Rendezvous is scheduled.

We spent two days in May at the House of Pain working on it, then brought it all back home. Due to work and family committments, plus my desire to "upgrade" certain areas, progress has been slow since we returned. Here are a few photos of where it is now.

Name:  m_DSC02463.jpg
Views: 11222
Size:  58.2 KB

Name:  m_DSC02472.jpg
Views: 9470
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  m_DSC02553.jpg
Views: 9383
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  m_DSC02851.jpg
Views: 8543
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  m_DSC02955.jpg
Views: 9085
Size:  75.7 KB

Here is what it is supposed to end up like

Name:  np5 copy.jpg
Views: 10880
Size:  54.5 KB

I am currently working on modified V plates and atachments for the lower ends of the landing gear legs. After several hours, here are the basic patterns.

Name:  m_DSC02969.jpg
Views: 8777
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  m_DSC02967.jpg
Views: 8199
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  m_DSC02968.jpg
Views: 8435
Size:  21.8 KB

Dale
    Last edited by bookmaker; 11-17-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

Excellent!!! This is great, another Nieuport build thread, I love it!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

And Dale's plane is never going to be parked next to mine.

Unless he wants to really win awards, as it will shine mightily against mine.

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

It's been awhile since I updated this. I have since reworked the stabilizer, elevators and rudder and got them mounted.

Name:  m_DSC03101.jpg
Views: 7821
Size:  65.1 KBName:  m_DSC03072.jpg
Views: 7865
Size:  51.8 KBName:  m_DSC03077.jpg
Views: 7833
Size:  50.2 KBName:  m_DSC03081.jpg
Views: 7699
Size:  66.2 KBName:  m_DSC03087.jpg
Views: 7972
Size:  56.3 KB

Dale
    Last edited by bookmaker; 10-09-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Well, it seems that I have taken 2 steps forward and 3 back. While working on the control horn setup on the elevators, and cleaning up some issues with them, I managed to break one of the ribs. This in itself is not such a big deal, but when added to all the other fiddling, redrilling, reriveting, moving things, etc, I have decided to scrap the current stab and elevators and start over with them. At least now I can start with the finished layout and systems as direct goals and fabricate them without having to modify or "rig" things.

Here is how it looked before the decision.

Name:  m_DSC03109.jpg
Views: 8243
Size:  58.9 KB

Oh, well, the pile in the scrap bin gets taller.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

As is obvious, it has been quite a while since I posted here. I have mostly been posting on www.theaerodrome.com. While things have been progressing slowly, this project has progressed.

Since the photo above, I scrapped the original stab and elevator and built a new one. The landing gear is substantially complete and I am now working on the wing internal structures.

Here are a few photo updates.

Landing gear:
    Name:  m_DSC03116.jpg
Views: 7572
Size:  47.8 KB
    Name:  m_DSC03298.jpg
Views: 7501
Size:  41.0 KB
    Name:  m_DSC03378.jpg
Views: 7685
Size:  39.2 KB
    Name:  m_DSC03464.jpg
Views: 7600
Size:  65.4 KB
    Name:  m_DSC03547.jpg
Views: 7400
Size:  57.7 KB

New Stab:
    Name:  m_DSC03594.jpg
Views: 7500
Size:  40.2 KB
    Name:  m_DSC03575.jpg
Views: 7357
Size:  31.8 KB
    Name:  m_DSC03606.jpg
Views: 7852
Size:  45.2 KB

Upper wing structure
    Name:  m_DSC03671.jpg
Views: 7582
Size:  47.0 KB
    Name:  m_DSC03684.jpg
Views: 7449
Size:  47.9 KB
    Name:  m_DSC03694.jpg
Views: 7550
Size:  63.8 KB

I've started on the lower wing structure, but that's pretty much where this project is at this time.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

I’m in A&p school currently, I’m considering building this same kit in a few years. I have enjoyed this thread and can not wait to see more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's really neat to see how Dale is smoothing the rough edges of the plans and turning a very basic aircraft into something special.

For those not aware, Dale's Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17 and my Nieuport 11 are different (by plans) only in scale. So while my aircraft is sort of, um, average and rough around the edges, using the same plans and materials - and a little more time and effort - he's coming up with a real gem.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Thanks to both of you. As Frank said, I am trying adjust the basic plan to be more accurate in outline. Robert's basic plan is solid but is geared toward rapid build at some expense to scale outline. Mine will still not be an accurate representation, but will be closer.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

And it must be said that every modification worthy of serious attention was planned and made with communication with Robert Baslee, who designed these aircraft.

Mr. Baslee is fantastic for communicating complex engineering and aeronautical concepts to the builder.

Dale: "I want to reduce the sweep, lower the airfoil, and change the front cabanes to a rigid structure that will eliminate the second set of cross wires."
    Robert: "Certainly that can be done using an so-and-so airfoil instead, and after looking at what you're planning find no problem with it. There are a few considerations you have to take into account..."

Me: "The back bottom wing cross tube-y things won't go in like the paper says, as the bottom fuselage tubes are in the way. Can I lift them up a little?"
    Robert: "How much is a little?"
    Me: "About 3/8 an inch."
    Robert: "Yes, but make sure the cross tube-y thing - they're called carry throughs - aren't touching the lower longeron, which is what we call the main fuselage tubes."