Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17

Both sides of the rudder are now covered, shrunk and the fabric riveted to the rib.

Name:  m_DSCN2168.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  21.8 KB

Although it doesn't look like it, the distance is the same between all rivets.

The area around the control horn wasn't doing what I wanted, so I cut reinforcements from .010" aluminum that will ultimately be covered with a doily.

Name:  m_DSCN2167.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  23.2 KB

Now on to tapes and doilies.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

Although it doesn't look like it, the distance is the same between all rivets.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall." - Emerson.

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Rudder taped ready for primer.

I made a dogbone patch to fill the intersection of the perimeter tube and spar. Also covered the aluminum reinforcement around the control horn with a doily.

Name:  m_DSCN2169.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  33.6 KB Name:  m_DSCN2171.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  14.6 KB Name:  m_DSCN2172.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  26.8 KB

After sticking the perimeter tape to the outer edge, the tape is shrunk to fit the curves. Then glued down.

Name:  m_DSCN2187.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  27.5 KB Name:  m_DSCN2191.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  37.3 KB

Extra image - OOPS
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bookmaker; 09-09-2018 at 03:27 PM.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Nice! I gather you've figured out the tapes are actually the most difficult part of covering!

(At least for me it is)
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I applied the provided fabric sealer to the second side of the rudder.

Name:  m_DSCN2192.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  36.1 KB

The first side didn't go quite as well as I did not filter the sealer well enough and ended up with a lot of little bumps. They are a pain to get out, but I am getting there.

We have other commitments coming up, but I hope to get it painted in a couple weeks.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

It's been a while since I posted here, and it is going to be a while longer before any significant progress is done on the N-17. We took a direct hit from hurricane Michael. Although we are nearly 60 miles from the coast, we officially had 125 mph sustained winds and the neighbor's anemometer broke over 150 mph. To put it mildly, we have a real mess here. While my house survived with very minor damage, and the N17 and my other planes survived, we lost our camper, shelter for it, the truck that carries the camper and untold trees.

It will be months cleaning up, so the N17 has to be on the back burner. Maybe if I get a few minutes I'll try to do a little more painting on the rudder. Otherwise, it's on hold.

Dale

Before - North up
    Name:  m_Screenshot_2018-11-04-20-52-21.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  59.7 KB

After - North to the left
    Name:  m_IMG_8205.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  90.9 KB
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Just an update that there is no update. Other issues compel my leaving the N17 alone for a while yet.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

There is not much to report. Cleaning up after the hurricane and tax season have pretty much taken up my mental capacity. However, some good friends helped remove the upper wing structure from the fuselage today and set them on racks. As soon as I get a little time, I will clear a spot at my home shop and move the fuselage here to complete the controls, firewall, engine mount and fairings. I am hoping to make some major headway this summer.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

Baby steps.

Rose and I brought the fuselage to the home shop last weekend. I have a little time this evening to start on the central controls. The carry-through tubes are carefully drilled for the bolts that mount the torque tube ball joints.

Name:  m_20190425_193940_1556243429994.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  41.6 KB

Then the torque tube ends are massaged to fit into the torque tube, then drilled for the attachment bolts. I need to shorten he torque tube a little to provide positive clearance.

Name:  m_20190425_203931_1556243429683.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  37.1 KB

Not much, but something. Keep in mind we are still cleaning up the disaster from Hurricane Michael. Six months and no federal relief package.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle