Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Private IFR rating and Commercial IFR rating ?

Some rules in Canada confuse me. I think you meant VFR On Top only if the origin and destination are scattered or better, correct?

Once upon a time, I flew an aerobatic contest in Canada where the ceiling was 700' with large holes drifting by. Relatively thin layer with blue sky above. The TC rep was standing right there as the Contest Director briefed that we would launch, fly to a hole, climb above the layer and hold over a road intersection until one of the large holes moved over the contest box. The Chief Judge would call us in to fly our competition flight program. When we finished we navigated to another hole to descend and return to the airport under the 700' ceiling. With Transport Canada right there, as an American I assumed that this was an aspect of Canada rules that were different. Off we went and flew the contest.

So were we doing what in Canada is VFR On Top? Or does that just apply to cross country flight above the clouds?

Best of luck,

Wes

VFR on top and VFR over the top (OTT) are two separate things. Any VFR pilot can fly over the top in the US; in other countries an endorsement is required. The FAA does not endorse VFR OTT, however it’s not illegal. VFR on top is an IFR operation so one has to be instrument rated and on an IFR flight plan.

So the contest was in Canada. The question was what the rule is in Canada and did it apply to the conditions described.

Unfortunately post #22 does not answer the question.

Best of luck,

Wes

Hello Wes,

I didn't talk to TCCA yet. For the moment, I am talking to private VFR pilots and here in my area they are all interested about this EFR rating. Often, those pilots will not fly because there are clouds between the departure and the destination. I know that lots of pilots stop flying because they don't get the utility of their aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    VFR on top and VFR over the top (OTT) are two separate things. Any VFR pilot can fly over the top in the US; in other countries an endorsement is required. The FAA does not endorse VFR OTT, however it’s not illegal. VFR on top is an IFR operation so one has to be instrument rated and on an IFR flight plan.
    Here in Canada we have the VFR Over The Top rating which is done with a VFR licence: needs at least 50% of blue sky at departure and arrival, 5000 ft between 2 layers, 5 miles visibility and 1000 ft from the clouds, only during the day and more restrictions. Not a very popular rating.

In IFR flight we have the '' 1000-ft-on-top''.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Durocher View Post
    Hello Wes,

I didn't talk to TCCA yet. For the moment, I am talking to private VFR pilots and here in my area they are all interested about this EFR rating. Often, those pilots will not fly because there are clouds between the departure and the destination. I know that lots of pilots stop flying because they don't get the utility of their aircraft.
    **March 22, 2019, I met Transport Canada and th ey are interested in the EIR (Enroute IFR Rating: T-O in VMC, fly in or above the clouds and land in VMC) project. They want me to do a study and present to them a report.

Yesterday, COPA (Canada Owners and Pilots Association) sent a survey to their members to see who is interested to fly EIR. My own survey shows that lots of pilots would like to fly EIR.

Andre.

NOt going to happen in the US no matter how many times you post it in these forums in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    NOt going to happen in the US no matter how many times you post it in these forums in one day.

Just received today from COPA (your AOPA):

https://copanational.org/en/2019/08/...-or-light-ifr/

''Call it what you will, but the question COPA asked in the newsletter on this topic definitely caught a lot of attention.
    At this point, COPA is confident that we will present a favourable proposal to TCCA on this concept in due course. All members are advised that it is still possible to send us feedback for inclusion in our discussions.''

Andre.

TC is a far cry from the FAA and just because COPA says they like something doesn't mean squat to even TC.