Thread: Ford Trimotor

Ford Trimotor

The Ford Trimotor is coming to T65, Weslaco Mid-valley, Weslaco, Texas, April 12-15. I keep my '67 Citabria KCAB at T65. I am going to buy tickets or the wife and I. I talked to the folks at flytheford.org and they told me that for an extra $50 you could fly the right seat. I going to try and do that as well but you can't pay for that in advance. I'm going to try and get on as one of the volunteer ground crew.

Tell me what you know!

I have volunteered a couple of times when the Trimotor came to Millard, NE (KMLE). It's well worth your time to do so!! Awesome experience. If I ever get another chance I'm definitely going to try for a flight in the right seat. I'm told it's a good leg workout.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

It's not what one would call responsive. Roll in some aileron and rudder and have a cup of coffee while it decides to do something. But how many times will you get a chance to fly behind one R985 and alongside two others.

I found a youtube video of some guy looping, rolling and spinning one!

I got to fly the Tri Motor for a circuit at Sun N Fun one year, and hey, the story of the aileron response being the worst in the world is exaggerated. I'm pretty sure the Titanic was a bit slower to answer the helm. Anyway, that's just what a Tri Motor flies like, you crank the wheel over, with some rudder and perhaps 15 seconds later you are actually turning, after a fashion. I cant recall how I got to fly it or who arranged it, but I'm grateful, what a rare experience. The old pilot with it seemed right out of the era when it was in service. He asked me if I was an aviator, and I wasn't sure if I could claim that so I said I was a pilot. One thing you really need in there is ear plugs, it is about as noisy as a B-25 or P-51. In the old days there were real pilots who could really fly, and didnt need any gadgets for it. I know there were airshow acts in Tri Motors. Its got such a big wing it ought to loop redily, dont know about rolling or spinning it. And it can takeoff and land really slow in a small space.

Lumbering and slow, but when you consider its 1920's vintage, it's quite remarkable.

I've volunteered several times when our chapter hosted it. One of my favorite things to point out is that the engine instruments are on the left and right nacelles. The gauges are rigged so that the sweep of the needles looks the same. As an example, the port oil pressure would swing clockwise, and the starboard would swing counter-clockwise. It's clearer when you're looking at it. Volunteering gets you the inside scoop on additional historic information about it that a ride won't provide.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Definitely a 'relatively' affordable memory wherever you can make it, whether that is at a local air show or at the big game AirVenture. Truly a working time machine and an experience you will never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Lumbering and slow, but when you consider its 1920's vintage, it's quite remarkable.
    It was a remarkable backcountry aircraft and it is still the most "authentic" mode to the Idaho backcountry. One photo was taken during the approach to Moose Creek Ranger Station in the Idaho Selway Bitterroot Wilderness area, and the others on the ground at the ranger station. Some of you will recognize the Ford.
    Name:  44950006.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  44950019.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  44950013.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  99.7 KB

Nice photos robertc.