Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Patch

Fabric Patch

No doubt there are many posts on all aspects of fabric work, however I am trying to understand the best process for my repair scenario... I need to cut a small hole (1" dia) in my ailerons to access and tighten some attachment hardware. the fabric is Superflite and the top coat is Sherwin-Williams Acry-Glo urethane. My questions are: 1) how much larger than my anticipated cut should I remove the coatings and take down to the fabric? 2) can I use a chemical paint stripper to remove the top coat as well as the base coats? 3) what is the best technique to feather the patch into the old finish? Any help will be much appreciated!

As to the patch its self when I did my repairs I looked in 43.13 for the answers. Anything smaller then a 4 inch square and the patch can be glued into place. If it is bigger then 4 inches, the patch will need to be stitched in place. Something this small, I would make the repair one inch bigger then the hole all the way around the hole. I myself would not use any chemical to remove the paint. I would use sand paper and take the paint down to the weave in the fabric. The stewards system would be used for the repair. Using this method ths repair will be quick and easy. I have done many repairs using this method.

Tony

I would also have some paint mixed at my local Auto Paint supply house to repaint this. This would then be put into a rattle can and the repair would be painted using this. I have done this type of repair and it looked just like the day I did it 6 years later and some 300 hrs of flight time on it. This airplane was no hangar queen.

For EAB aircraft do what Tony says on the patching the fabric. AC 43-13-1B Chapter 2 Section 4. If it's a type certificated airplane follow the fabric manufacturer instructions. In either case be mindful that this is a control surface where static balance may be critical.

Good luck with the paint, urethane is tough to spot repair.

Thanks for the feedback - very helpful! I have been hesitant to sand the paint down to the fabric mainly for fear that it would be easy to start abrading the fabric threads. It just seemed to me that the chemical strippers was a more surgical approach. So what is the potential problem with the chemical strippers - what damage can they do?

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    Thanks for the feedback - very helpful! I have been hesitant to sand the paint down to the fabric mainly for fear that it would be easy to start abrading the fabric threads. It just seemed to me that the chemical strippers was a more surgical approach. So what is the potential problem with the chemical strippers - what damage can they do?
    Two questions:

1) What will the stripper do to the integrity of the fabric?

2) How far will the stripper wick up under the coatings? Maybe just to the edge where you removed the finish. Maybe it'll wick up much farther and damage the bond.

I doubt anyone has an absolute the answer to either question.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 03-17-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Your two questions echo my concerns about the use of a stripper... I was hoping to learn from the experience of others. Maybe like a lot of questions there is no definitive answer, but it never hurts to ask!

I've got urethane on my Fly Baby (Stits Aerothane), and it's a PITA to repair. The Stits manual calls for taking off the paint via manual abrasion (e.g., sanding) when it has to be repaired, unless you can access the inside. Also, I understand that it's difficult for a repair to be able to match the gloss.

You can download the Poly Fiber manual from a variety of places. It's got a second on the Urethane paints, and a urethane section in the repair appendix. I suspect your paint will be similar.

Ron Wanttaja

What I would do is install inspection rings. You can do this with a covered wing. You lay down some fabric gluing down about one inch of this. Lay your ring down then wrap the fabric back around it. Then glue this down once laid out over the ring. I believe the EAA as a small webinar showing how to install an inspection ring after the wing is covered. If not you can do this yourself if you look at it. Again I would use the Stewart system for is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Cause it depends on the type stripper used.