Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UWO Non A/C room Question

Thanks for the info Biggles and Floats. Just depends on what you are willing to put up with, communal showers don't bother me and I guess the 3 hr. round trip to Appleton is a trade off too. I am planning to have my vintage Apache hard side camper road worthy by then and that will be it's maiden voyage, (since I've had it). We tent camped in 2016 and I just wanted something a little more sturdy. If for some reason I don't think it will make the 900 plus mile trip, I'll try booking at UWO.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    ...and I guess the 3 hr. round trip to Appleton is a trade off too
    Bob
    Bob, your information is misinformed. Appleton to the grounds is 24 minutes, round trip therefore is 48 minutes.

Year 1: Drove in with wife, stayed in Appleton. The drive isn't bad, but we did get tired of having to hoof it a mile or two back to the truck AFTER walking all day until we were exhausted. Parking was an extra $10 or so per day. Missed all evening/night activities. Ate breakfast and dinner wherever we wanted, slept on a REAL bed with AC and clean sheets every night, all that. Hotel was full of Airventure people.

Year 2: Flew in with a friend, shared a room in the non-AC dorms. Got to see more of Airventure. Cost nearly as much as staying in Appleton, but no parking expense. Easy bus transport in and out with very reasonable wait times.

Year 3 & 4: Flew in and camped in HBC. Total immersion, still not cheap but you have a lot less worry about bus schedules and such. Showers and restrooms are, to be honest, just as good as the dorms.

Year 5: I'll probably fly in and camp. Too early to tell for sure.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Floats, that's the great thing about Convention; anything goes. Sure, I'd like a nice hotel room in which to stay, but the dorms (a/c at that!) serve us just fine.

Bottom line for us is the convenience. My wife has attended every year with me since 2008 and for her the convenience of being able to take the bus when SHE wants to in the AM, or to be able to make a relatively quick round trip back to the dorm in the middle of the day because she forgot something worth the relative inconvenience.

I enjoy her being at Convention, and she gets almost a bigger kick out of it than I do. She'd into history and warbirds, so I never even see her during the day, cuz I'm into homebuilding, exhibits, and volunteering. Between nightly dinners with neighbors and our ever-increasing circle of friends we only see in Oshkosh, we don't see any other venue with the convenience of the dorms.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Bob, your information is misinformed. Appleton to the grounds is 24 minutes, round trip therefore is 48 minutes.
    I got Appleton and Green By mixed up, in 2011 we flew in to GB and it was an hour shuttle ride to Sleepy Hollow and a hundred bucks! 2016 we camped in Scholler and aside from a storm destroying our pop up canopy, everything was good. This year we plan to bring a pop up camper and stay in Scholler again and bring bicycles to get around. Should be a good time !
    Bob

"Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln