Thread: Air bike Tandem- getting started

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Air bike Tandem- getting started

I recently received my plans for an air bike tandem. I plan on scratch building but this is my first endeavor. I would love to connect with people that have experience with them, or building in general. I’ll be registering it experimental. I’m in North San Diego county. Anyone local. I plan to head down to Brown field next Sat for EAA breakfast, hoping to connect with someone.

Carl

I have not built an air bike but I am finishing up a Zenith 701 and previously built and still fly a Pulsar XP out of Big Bear airport. Am always open for visitors.
    Bob H

I have a single-place Air Bike that I'm flying out of Ramona Airport. I'd be happy to show you the aircraft and help you any way I can.

David

Quote Originally Posted by DAB677 View Post
    I have a single-place Air Bike that I'm flying out of Ramona Airport. I'd be happy to show you the aircraft and help you any way I can.

David
    I have also kicked around the idea of going "ultralight". But I have heard conflicting reports regarding the reliability of 2-stroke aircraft engines. I would like to get your opinion also, especially regarding the Hirth engines.

The 2 stroke reputation is from and earlier time when experimentation was without data.That Data gathered from all the bad experience and good , has its roots in today's engines and range of performance. I respect the past and would use the tried and rated . I have been flying with one of the lightest weight to power ratios a 440 Kawasaki . there are many of them out there still in use. If I were going to fly and use a new engine it would be the new F33 Hirth 50 HP electric start and the total weight is only a few lbs over my hand pull Kawasaki system.
    There are very few Ultra light engine failures these days. The news is far more disturbing for GA and LSA engine failure , This year has me wondering why.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 12-28-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks, Norm. I have considerable experience with (older) 2-stroke motorcycle engines (Suzuki and Kawasaki), and was perplexed by anecdotes of seizures and in-flight failures of those designed for aircraft. It's nice to hear from someone with actual experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Langlois View Post
    The 2 stroke reputation is from and earlier time when experimentation was without data.That Data gathered from all the bad experience and good , has its roots in today's engines and range of performance. I respect the past and would use the tried and rated.
    Your comment made me curious, Norm: HAS two-stroke reliability increased with time?

One way to look at the issue is to examine the accidents involving homebuilt aircraft with two-stroke engines, and determine what percentage of the accidents were due to engine issue.

I split my database into two groups: 1998 through 2006 (nine years), and 2007 through 2016 (ten years). The slight difference in number of years doesn't make a difference, since we're look at the percentages rather than the raw numbers.

During the earlier period, 31.6% of accidents involving EAB aircraft with two-stroke engines were due to engine issues.
    During the later period, that dropped to 21.4%! So, indeed, the homebuilt world got better at producing reliable two-stroke engine installations.

Here's the figures for several engine classes.
    1998-2006
    2007-2016
    Traditional Engines
    14.2%
    14.6%
    Auto Engines
    32.3%
    32.2%
    Non-Cert Four Strokes
    20.2%
    15.5%
    Two-Strokes
    31.6%
    21.4%
    "Non Cert Four Strokes" are engines like the Rotax 912 and the Jabiru. The Rotax 912 itself, in fact, dropped from 15% in the first period to 10% in the more-recent period...better than traditional engines, in fact.

Ron Wanttaja

Another Biker in SoCA

Hey Carl-
    Congratulations on the Air Bike choice! Me, too! I got my plans late spring and have been getting ready ever since. I am building a single seater, also as experimental. I live in Hollywood and my home field is at Whiteman. We are not "local" enough as I would want, but I would like to come and see your progress and compare notes, as things move along.
    Dan
    medicalgasdan@gmail.com