Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADS-B Options for New Construction?

ADS-B Options for New Construction?

I just ordered my kit and will be building a Mosquito XE285 helicopter. I hadn't planned to add a transponder or ADS-B Out at all, but I may reconsider if I can do it simply and relatively inexpensively (easier to add during build than retrofit, I think). My head is about to explode with all the searching I've done, and most ADS-B solutions all seem to focus on existing setups where the aircraft is already equipped with a Mode C transponder. So:

1. Do I need a transponder if I have an ADS-B Out system? Can't I just be compliant with a UAT?

2. If the answer to#1 is NO, any suggestions for some 'simple' installs in a new build
    a) assuming I also want ADS-B In
    b) assuming I will not have ADS-B In (does this make it easier/cheaper?)

3. Anybody already gone down this road yet? I'll be going to Sun 'n Fun next month to do some shopping.

Thanks, Dick

PS - the only reason I'm even considering this, is that I am near enough to a Mode C Veil where it would be nice to have the capability without having to call ATC one hour prior.

Our FAA friends unfortunately have layered ADS-B on top of the existing system so yes you need to be able to squawk in the legacy manner in addition to output the ADS-B data. The good news is you can buy one box that does all that. But you spend $$ if you are starting from scratch. That said, if you are spending that much, you might as well get the "IN" and bluetooth connectivity to your favorite tablet.

Best of luck,

Wes

The Stratus ESG would be a very simple installation and make your bird 2020 ADS-B-out compliant in addition to providing you with a full-featured transponder.

Name:  stratus-esg.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  23.4 KB

These are available for about $2200 which includes the WAAS GPS. I've been flying one in my RV-6 and it works flawlessly. ADS-B-In is provided by the sub-$120 Stratux dual-band receiver.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 03-08-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

The Stratus ESG is a great solution, though as Sam noted you'll still need a receiver for IN. Another possibility is, if you find a cheap Mode C transponder (and they're getting cheaper every month now) you can install that, and add one of several UAT solutions that will give you both IN and OUT. UAvionix has a decent solution for $1400 or so, including the GPS. These work with your Mode C transponder by "listening" to its transmissions to get your transponder code, and sending and receiving ADS-B using UAT.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Uavionix seems to be coming out with some really nice lightweight gear and do a great job standing behind it when there are issues. They plan to announce a new lightweight 1090-ES transponder at Sun-'N-Fun this year. I expect it will be both in and out making it both compliant and a traffic information source. I'm waiting to see what they announce before I buy at new transponder for my E-AB plane this spring.

I didn't know about the Stratus, that's a good price.

I had read about the Uavionix, but then I'd need an xpndr.

Thanks Guys!

Here's a video about the installation of Uavionix SkyBeacon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ohKWCqhP0s

Name:  mqdefault.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  13.8 KB
    Last edited by FunInAviation; 03-14-2018 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by a6bn69 View Post
    I didn't know about the Stratus, that's a good price.

Pick your poison, I guess. With the Stratus, you need a separate box for ADS-B IN. You can use a Stratux, but even that isn't free. Then you have to figure out where you're going to mount it and its antennas, unless you use it as a portable (which has its own disadvantages).

With the uAvionix approach, you can use a lower cost transponder. I think GTX 327s are going for under $500 now, bringing the total cost of the transponder/uAvionix solution to under $2K. Everything can be permanently mounted, and you have a complete IN/OUT solution that will talk to pretty much everything except Garmin products. If you go Garmin, I think you'll need to go all Garmin.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by a6bn69 View Post

Thanks Guys!
    The Uavionix announcement at Sun 'N Fun should be a 1090ES transponder that is both in and out and should talk to most EFB apps on an iPad or Android. At least that's what they implied when I last communicated with them.

For those who have considered the low-cost Stratux receiver, it doesn't have to be portable or mounted in a visible location. The Stratux in my RV-6 is mounted low on the side of the baggage compartment and hard wired for power from the avionics bus. The receivers are fed by a transponder antenna mounted on the bottom of the plane near the tail. The entire installation is out-of-sight and works flawlessly with the iFly 720 GPS and comes alive when I power up the GPS. Even though it is probably more common to consider the Stratux as a portable device, it also lends itself to permanent installations in experimental aircraft.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log