Thread: Subaru EA 81 NSI engine

Subaru EA 81 NSI engine

I bought a barn find Zodiac 601 HD. It has the Subaru EA 81 NSI conversation on it. It is missing the coil selector switch. That is the box where the wires from the two coils go. Then plug wires go from there to each individual plug. Any ideas who makes it? If anyone has one for purchase? Or anyone has a good alternative for a dual coil single plug application?

I don't have an answer for you but I suggest you post your question on this Subaru engine forum:

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...splay.php?f=19

It doesn't look like there is much activity on the forum, the last post was in November, but you might be able to find a knowledgeable contact by looking through the prior posts. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJ View Post
    I bought a barn find Zodiac 601 HD. It has the Subaru EA 81 NSI conversation on it. It is missing the coil selector switch. That is the box where the wires from the two coils go. Then plug wires go from there to each individual plug. Any ideas who makes it? If anyone has one for purchase? Or anyone has a good alternative for a dual coil single plug application?
    MSD makes the part you seek. <https://www.msdperformance.com/products/coils/coil_accessories/parts/8210>

I’m actually trying the MSD coil selector Switch. Engine won’t fire up when trying to go through them. When running straight from the coils to the plugs, the engine fires right up. On either bank of coils, Am I missing something.

I’m actually trying the MSD coil selector Switch. Engine won’t fire up when trying to go through them. When running straight from the coils to the plugs, the engine fires right up. On either bank of coils, Am I missing something.
    The MSD coil selector is effectively a pair of large diodes. If for some reason your system is configured as a positive ground for the ignition, it may have an issue. Take a close look at the direction of energy flow through the MSD coil selector. There are a lot of Subarus and Corvairs flying with these.

I have the same problem

I have an NSI EA-81 Subaru with the NSI dual ignition that just went bad. Problem seems to be one of the isolation modules. So far cannot find a replacement. Dug out the potting compound and am baffled with the diode circuits. One side has the current passing toward the center plug post. The other has the diodes in the opposite direction. Also can't find the same diodes on the internet.
    Am thinking of trying the MSD unit. Did you get it to work? Thanks, Dale