Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Legal question

The legal question is whether you have any responsibility for the builder. The answer is "probably not". However, as has been pointed out, the heirs can drag you into court and you can be in the right, but it is still very costly to defend yourself. So, if you are uncomfortable with the situation, you should put an end to it. It's that simple. Dont' be a wimp about it. Tell they guy you are uncomfortable with the situation and give him a date when you expect him to be out of your hangar.

It's not an unusual situation for a builder to think they have found a home in someone's hangar, but the hangar owner figures out the builder does poor quality work, or may have had intentions of knocking out a lot of work, but accomplishes very little other than to take up your time and hangar space. I've had that situation, and as much as I like helping builders, I have had to give them a drop dead date to find another storage facility and throw them out of my hangar.

Having been on the receiving end of said "vacate notice", I can say I agree with Cub Builder. My case was a customized Harley Davidson chopper, and the gracious garage owner put up with me longer than he should have. I had no experience in building a motorcycle from the frame up, and the 30 day build dragged on for months. While I did not welcome the news, I understood his position and respected his wishes. You might offer to assist him in finding alternative housing.

I am renting hanger space to a fellow for the assembly of his light sport aircraft. The agreement is that he pay me a small amount for the use of the building and my normal shop rate for my services.

I have just a couple of questions as I put my REALTOR hat on -

1. Do you own the hangar or are you leasing it? If you are leasing, many leases do not allow sub-leasing without the owner's permission. And whether or not you two signed a lease, you are sub-leasing if you are taking money. Why do I bring it up? Because it gives you an out. "Sorry, Dude. I can't sub-lease and I can't let you stay for free. So you gotta go. Sorry..."

2. If you own it or can sublease, do you have a lease written with him? If not, you had better get one signed - and fast. I would be more worried about him (or his heir) slipping on an oil spot on the floor and claiming injuries and suing you for that. He doesn't even have to die for you to be sued. Just tell him that you need a lease, and if he won't sign one that absolves you of any responsibility for when he slips, then you just say, "Sorry, Dude. You gotta go..."

Just trying to give you some practical knowledge that has nothing to do aviation, and I, to be clear, am not providing legal advice. I am just telling you that you might want to see an attorney and protect yourself if you are going to allow him to stay in your hangar. You have more to worry about in this arrangement than him dying on a test flight.
    Semper Fidelis,

Terry L. Hand