To follow-up what Paul and Bugs said:
When I said the tools are the same plans or kit built, I was speaking specifically to Sonex. They will sell "just enough" of the "harder to build" parts for a plans-builder to NOT need a long brake or any welding whatsoever. Now I'm building something that does require a lathe, mill, and welding, among other things that I don't / didn't have to build a Sonex. To be more general about the statement, then, yes, a complete plans-built airplane WILL require more tools than a kit version of the same thing. But the Sonex guys have very cleverly packaged "plans-build helper" kits to make it easier.

Bugs - mentions that buying an airplane can just be a money pit, and someone else mentioned that you can't work on it. But what wasn't mentioned here is: buying a pre-owned homebuilt! These can be the best value in airplanes around. You can do all your own work on it (just hire an A&P for the condition inspection 1x/year), and you don't have to use FAA-certified parts. As someone else mentioned, many of the certified options around will be decades old. Well, there's lots of people out there who like to build, or maybe just feel something missing once the project is into the flying stage and start on something else. So there are A LOT of very-low-time "almost new" homebuilts for sale. You'll see them as "just completed phase I" or "100 hours" or "built, inspected, and not yet flown" - as well as with all different levels of time on them. Personally, my preference would be at LEAST the Phase I flown off, that way you know it's been tested to a point, and had bugs worked out (if any). I've seen some "airplane wanted" postings on other forums where they are specifically looking for "at least 100 hours" on the airplane - to be sure the bugs are really, really worked out. Anyway, an already-built-and-tested homebuilt can get you a "new" airplane at "decades-old certified airplane" prices.

To the other comments about welcoming them to building - I have no problems with that at all. In fact, I just signed up to be a TC and will help out however I can. But if Wayne's main _goal_ is really to just go fly, then building can suck up so much time and money that not only do you never fly, you never complete an airplane, and all you've done is made a "donation" to the buyer of your partially-completed kit. So I go back to the statement - you build an airplane because you want to build an airplane.