Thread: Looking for Ultralight Pilots who were Active 1978-1982 or so

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for Ultralight Pilots who were Active 1978-1982 or so

I'm doing some research about part 103 operations and regulations around the late 70s and early 80s and would like to find pilots who were involved back then. Feel free to reach out directly via email@jaredyates.com or 828-308-1543. I'll try and check back here for replies also.

I did instruction in 2 seat Quicksilvers from 80-84.
    What are you looking for?
    Dave

I flew an Eipperformance weight shift and a single seat MX out of a grass strip just north of Columbia Missouri back in 1982. My “instructor” was a guy named Walt Cole. Our Aircraft all had the Cayuna 430 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by 787driver View Post
    I flew an Eipperformance weight shift and a single seat MX out of a grass strip just north of Columbia Missouri back in 1982. My “instructor” was a guy named Walt Cole. Our Aircraft all had the Cayuna 430 engine.

I flew a Klaus Hill Vector 600 from 1981-1984 - I started with a SoarMaster twin engined system (Chrysler 820s) but that system scared me (Put that setup on a powered iceboat). I replaced it with a Kohler 250 on a Yarnell power system which eventually broke the prop shaft on takeoff & I broke my back in that crash. I then rebuilt & updated that system & installed a Yamaha 250 which ran Great... Later I bought a J-3 Kitten with a 447 Rotax & swapped out that 2 Stroke for a Mosler 2 Cyl VW which also ran Great (contrary to a recent Kitplane article). After enjoying the Kitten I got an Air Command 447 Gyroplane which was really fun, I should have known that was a radical piece after watching the video I took at my first Gyro fly in where Everyone was limping (including a dog). I do have Video of the early days of Ultralight flying at Sun-n-Fun. I finally got smart & got a Champ / RV 4 / RV 6A / and now a Searey which is the most Fun of all. Bruce MacInnes 413-329-0995.

Everyone was limping (including a dog).

Luckily I got my coffee down.

I was a kid who's Grandfather was a ww2 navigator, LtC in the Guard and a Cessna 195 owner, when I asked about ultralights. His diatribe about how unsafe and poorly envisioned the 103 program was still rings in my ears.

I started in 72 and got a good job about 75 and came back into ULs slightly after 103 was adopted. I was listed as an UL instructor with AOPA and EAA. Was #2 advanced UL instructor with ASC. Had a bunch of USHGA ratings.

Thanks everyone, I was able to reach a few folks and got some insight.