Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can SW run offline?

Can SW run offline?

Greetings,

I do not have internet at home and because of that if I have to be online to use the student version of SW it would be pointless for me to obtain.

I searched the forums and could not find the answer.

Do I have to be online for this version of SW to run?

Yes, it phones home to verify the license every time you open the software, unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply.

That means Solidworks is useless for me.

For some reason I don't think the library would be happy with my keeping a computer there or leaving software on their computers.

Given that a subscription to Solid Works is close to $5000 and something like $2500 per year, the EAA offering is a bargain, even with the inconvenience of having to be connected the web to use it.

Matt is incorrect. There are provisions for downloading the software and activating it via email. You just need to follow the instructions. I recommend selecting the last option in the installer program, which allows you to save the software to a device and then use that to install it on the computer you intend to use SW on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Puuri View Post
    Matt is incorrect. There are provisions for downloading the software and activating it via email. You just need to follow the instructions. I recommend selecting the last option in the installer program, which allows you to save the software to a device and then use that to install it on the computer you intend to use SW on.
    So how would one go about converting their license to a standard one that doesn't need an internet connection? I don't recall this being an option when I installed SW.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    As far as I know there are 3 issues here:

1. Downloading: Makes sense that you need to be on line, but if you have installation CD's (commercial version) you do not need to be on line.
    2. Activating the License: The activation code can be obtained by e-mail and you don't need to be on line to install it.
    3. Running the software: No need to be on line after activation, although if you are on line when you run it, the software probably checks if your license is valid and registered with DS.

To answer the question: No, you do not need to be on line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Meyer View Post
    3. Running the software: No need to be on line after activation, although if you are on line when you run it, the software probably checks if your license is valid and registered with DS.

To answer the question: No, you do not need to be on line.
    This contradicts my experience. I had temporarily moved my desktop to another room in my house to connect it up to a TV to do a 'design review' of sorts with some people, and it wasn't connected to the internet. When I opened SW, the splashscreen never went away, and it said "verifying license...." and was stuck there until I got creative and figured out how to get a LAN cable to that room. As soon as the internet was connected, it loaded.

Have either of you that claim I'm wrong actually tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gonitzke View Post
    This contradicts my experience. I had temporarily moved my desktop to another room in my house to connect it up to a TV to do a 'design review' of sorts with some people, and it wasn't connected to the internet. When I opened SW, the splashscreen never went away, and it said "verifying license...." and was stuck there until I got creative and figured out how to get a LAN cable to that room. As soon as the internet was connected, it loaded.

Have either of you that claim I'm wrong actually tried this?
    I have activated one computer via email, but most of my installations have had an active internet connection. Here is everything you need to know about SW Activation:
    http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support...des_activation

Question #11 addresses the issue of having an active internet connection when using the software. The answer is no, it is not required.

I know for a fact that (the professional version, at least) does not require an internet connection as I know of a business that has a couple dozen seats installed in an office with no outside internet connection.