Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can SW run offline?

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Puuri View Post
    I have activated one computer via email, but most of my installations have had an active internet connection. Here is everything you need to know about SW Activation:
    http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support...des_activation

Question #11 addresses the issue of having an active internet connection when using the software. The answer is no, it is not required.
    So in other words, you have no experience with this particular situation, yet I'm "wrong". That link is "STANDALONE product activation FAQ's" (emphasis mine). Obviously a standalone license should be able to function without an internet connection. The student version does not appear to be standalone, or at least I can't find any information anywhere to suggest that it is.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I know for a fact that (the professional version, at least) does not require an internet connection as I know of a business that has a couple dozen seats installed in an office with no outside internet connection.
    Like, for example, the office where I work ...

I suspect that the student edition also does not require an internet connection. Students, when travelling, don't always have an internet connection, but they can work on SW (on a bus for example).

My EAA student version works with the internet connection disabled.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Now there's a short and to-the-point answer

So this morning I turned off the internet and tried this again, and...it worked. Not sure what happened the other time I tried this.

Usually repeating the same thing more than once and expecting a different answer is the definition of insanity, but time and time again I have learned this does not apply to computers...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gonitzke View Post
    So in other words, you have no experience with this particular situation, yet I'm "wrong". That link is "STANDALONE product activation FAQ's" (emphasis mine). Obviously a standalone license should be able to function without an internet connection. The student version does not appear to be standalone, or at least I can't find any information anywhere to suggest that it is.
    Matt, as I said in that post "I have activated one computer via email..." The email activation method does not require the computer that is running SOLIDWORKS to be connected to the internet. You do have to have a device connected to the internet to complete activation via email, but that computer running SOLIDWORKS is not connected to the internet. Also, "STANDALONE" means an individual license, as opposed to a network license. You have to have internet access to authenticate a network license, but individual licenses can be activated on a separate computer using email.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gonitzke View Post
    This contradicts my experience. I had temporarily moved my desktop to another room in my house to connect it up to a TV to do a 'design review' of sorts with some people, and it wasn't connected to the internet. When I opened SW, the splashscreen never went away, and it said "verifying license...." and was stuck there until I got creative and figured out how to get a LAN cable to that room. As soon as the internet was connected, it loaded.

Have either of you that claim I'm wrong actually tried this?
    Jeffrey,
    I agree with you. Some friends have Solidworks Premium, and every time you launch it, if you are offline, a popup comes up telling you it cannot connect to servers to verify license. This is the premium version, I do not know if the student version acts differently in this regard...

Christian L.