Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy Van's RV-4

Looking to buy Van's RV-4

The Van's RV-4 seems to fit my needs and my budget (around $50k). I like the looks, the low operating cost, its aerobatic capability. I like the idea of being able to legally do the maintenance.

I currently have a '67 KCAB Citarbria. I've put about 100 hours on it in the last 6 months.

I like the looks of the sliding canopy but it isn't a deal breaker. An IFR/glass cockpit would be nice because I hope to eventually get an instrument rating. I am familiar with the Lycoming O-320. I like adjustable pitch prop but not the expense.

What do I need to look for? Electric flaps and trim?

Is there some other airplane that will do what the RV-4 does cheaper?

I'm going to Oshkosh in July mostly to look at RV-4s.

Quote Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
    Is there some other airplane that will do what the RV-4 does cheaper?
    You might look into the Thorp T-18. They use the same class of engines, just about as fast. Higher stall speed, and they are side-by-side instead of tandem. Cockpit's a bit tighter than some. Significant price difference, though.

Ron Wanttaja

Is there some other airplane that will do what the RV-4 does cheaper?.
    not that I am aware of.

As far as maintenance, keep in mind you can work on it, but not sign off the conditional (unless you are an A&P).
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    As far as maintenance, keep in mind you can work on it, but not sign off the conditional (unless you are an A&P).
    My OCD will kick in here - it's a "Condition" inspection, not a "Conditional" inspection. It's not "conditional" on anything, and it's an inspection of the "condition" of the aircraft. And yes, for you grammar nazis (of which I also am one), that's an Oxford comma :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    My OCD will kick in here - it's a "Condition" inspection, not a "Conditional" inspection. It's not "conditional" on anything, and it's an inspection of the "condition" of the aircraft. And yes, for you grammar nazis (of which I also am one), that's an Oxford comma :-).
    Me too, I guess. I hate to see "gonna", "wanna", and "prolly" in print.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    Tough crowd.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

I have an rv4 that i have owned for 2 years. They are really hard planes to beat and everyone that i know that has flown in one ends up buying one(rvs). I redid my whole panel with 10" glass, new garmin radio, backup 4" screen. Since ive owned it i have also installed led wingtip lights, leading edge taxi/landing lights, all new wiring and switches. I am currently finishing up the install of electric flaps, electric elevator trim, autopilot servos, and infinity aerospace grip. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin3 View Post
    I have an rv4 that i have owned for 2 years. They are really hard planes to beat and everyone that i know that has flown in one ends up buying one(rvs). I redid my whole panel with 10" glass, new garmin radio, backup 4" screen. Since ive owned it i have also installed led wingtip lights, leading edge taxi/landing lights, all new wiring and switches. I am currently finishing up the install of electric flaps, electric elevator trim, autopilot servos, and infinity aerospace grip. Let me know if you have any questions.
    I am a little curious about "tall landing gear". Is this curing a problem?

I am a little curious about "tall landing gear". Is this curing a problem?
    It shouldn't be considered a problem remedy, just an enhancement of landing characteristics. The early RV-4's had "short" gear that made achieving a full-stall landing an exercise in very precise speed management. Later RV-4's have "tall" gear that allows the wing to be more easily stalled (greater angle of attack) when in a three-point attitude. This reduces the tendency to bounce landings and provides a little larger airspeed window for touchdown. Both designs fly beautifully but the later version is more tolerant of less-than-perfect landing technique.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log