Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Plane coming to AirVenture - Vashon

New Plane coming to AirVenture - Vashon

Saw this vid today, being introduced at AirVenture - something to look forward to seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=574BD7naaeU

Banned
    This new LSA Ranger has been in development by avionics maker Dynon designed by a former aircraft designer from Vans. This one will more than likely get to market because it's financed and supported by a highly successful, well entrenched, deep pocketed aircraft components company.

It's intended market is as a trainer. But, IMO, it's just another derivative of so many current and past look-a-likes that it simply does not stand out as something special or stylish. They say they want to keep the sale price just below $100K for a fully loaded model. That's been a significant challenge for many LSA factories who have come before them and not succeeded.

If I operated a flight school I'd buy 4 150's/152's for the price of one of these, have many more students simultaneously and much more revenue. It's all about the economics.

Yeah, the operating cost likely can't compete with an old depreciated Cessna 150.
    But the C-150 isn't Light Sport, so some flight schools might choose to enter the lower cost Light Sport certificate market.
    Otherwise, it will sell mostly to older individuals.

I don't know if 20 hours is enough to be a fully stick capable pilot in a full panel airplane?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    But the C-150 isn't Light Sport, so some flight schools might choose to enter the lower cost Light Sport certificate market.
    From the many anecdotal comments I've read here over the last few years, there isn't much of a LS student market because of the paucity of LS instructors, LS available aircraft and flight schools offering the LS pilot certificate. The flight school industry appears to look unfavourably on the entire LS concept.

A number of operators around me with Legacy Light Sport aircraft have embraced Sport Pilot flying and are doing very well with it.

While some seem to shy away from anything less than PP training, I think a "business" will change it's attitude rather quickly when they see a lost revenue opportunity. Revenue from LS training is just as good as revenue from other segments of pilot training. Vashon may have to invest in more than just building the plane because the adage "if you it they will come" doesn't seem to apply to aviation and/or flight training.

Any CFI can give Sport Pilot instruction.

It's not just about operating cost. You may have better luck attracting students to train in a new, well equipped, modern airplane than an old, ratty and cramped 150 (which is what you're looking at if you're looking at $25K 150s).

From what I have seen and heard, there are quite a few potential Sport Pilot students out there who are not currently training because of the lack of available Light Sport airplanes in which to train and take their checkride.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

The article in Sport Aviation said "two 200 pounders fit in comfort"
    But that leaves 45 pounds for fuel.

Yes... 1 1/2 hours of fuel leaves a little to be desired. And that weight is probably for the basic model. Even if you say it is OK because lessons don't usually last longer than an hour and you will have a 30 minute reserve...then it becomes a matter of teaching the student to cut fuel reserves close. But if the student market is limited to teenagers, then as long as they aren't on the football team you might be OK.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Banned
    [QUOTE=DaleB;68856]You may have better luck attracting students to train in a new, well equipped, modern airplane than an old, ratty and cramped 150 (which is what you're looking at if you're looking at $25K 150s)./QUOTE]

Old-yes
    Cramped- a little
    Ratty- not so much. Many 150's/152's for sale at around this price on popular websites are substantially updated with new or newish interior plastics, broadloom, headliner, instrument panel cover, glare shield, windshield and side windowglass with exterior paint at 7/10.

The Cessna 150/152 meets all criteria for light sport except one, max takeoff weight. If the FAA would waive the weight for training only (Or raise the weight to include the Cessna 150/152 in the light sport category) then there would be thousands more Sport Pilots today. For me to get light sport training, I would have to travel 200+ miles. To train in a Cessna 150, I could be at an airport in 10 minutes.