Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Plane coming to AirVenture - Vashon

Quote Originally Posted by scuba72 View Post
    The Cessna 150/152 meets all criteria for light sport except one, max takeoff weight. If the FAA would waive the weight for training only (Or raise the weight to include the Cessna 150/152 in the light sport category) then there would be thousands more Sport Pilots today. For me to get light sport training, I would have to travel 200+ miles. To train in a Cessna 150, I could be at an airport in 10 minutes.
    The FAA should approve the C150 for Sport Pilots, SOLO ONLY. That would get the weight to within ~100 lbs of the Light Sport limit. Instructors could still be able to teach SPs, and the SP students could solo and take their lessons until they get their licenses.

The FAA would also have to approve taking a SP flight test with an FAA inspector on board.

Ron Wanttaja

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba72 View Post
    The Cessna 150/152 meets all criteria for light sport except one, max takeoff weight. If the FAA would waive the weight for training only (Or raise the weight to include the Cessna 150/152 in the light sport category) then there would be thousands more Sport Pilots today. For me to get light sport training, I would have to travel 200+ miles. To train in a Cessna 150, I could be at an airport in 10 minutes.
    Two implications:

If the weight could ever be increased to the level where it would then include 150's/152's, that would significantly renew and revitalize the entire SP pilot program and the SP certificate.

This is also the nightmare apocalypse scenario SLSA makers, LAMA and their members dread. Flight schools would buy many more of the best civilian trainer ever built to satisfy the SP demand. They may even consider the AOPA reimagined 150.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    The FAA should approve the C150 for Sport Pilots, SOLO ONLY. That would get the weight to within ~100 lbs of the Light Sport limit. Instructors could still be able to teach SPs, and the SP students could solo and take their lessons until they get their licenses.

The FAA would also have to approve taking a SP flight test with an FAA inspector on board.

Ron Wanttaja

Great idea! Now if only the FAA would go back to promoting aviation.

Not their job. Their job is to promote FAA regulation.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.