Thread: What kind of ultralight is this??

What kind of ultralight is this??

Hello everyone. First time on this sight.

My friends father passed away recently and they cleaned out his hanger and discovered this ultralight that was never built but has all of the parts except for the fabric. The problem is that were not sure what type it is. She thought it was a p38 but wasn't sure. She said he bought it in the seventies. I took a few pictures hoping someone could identify it and what a fair asking price would be. The wood laminate is still in the tubes and never taken out. It has developed some surface rust since it was moved outdoors, it has been kept in Arizona. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Wow, aviation archaeology! "Mitchell" and the dual rudders are the giveaways that these are the remnants of a Mitchell Wing P-38.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Wing_P-38
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

I tend to agree with your friend's assessment....looks like a Mitchell P-38. The tubes are even labeled "Mitchell Air/cft"

Ron Wanttaja

That's pretty cool... never heard of that one before but it looks like a neat design.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    That's pretty cool... never heard of that one before but it looks like a neat design.

Oh, there were a lot of strange birds back then ! Not all of them in the air either, if you know what I mean !
    Bob

It's pretty rare, there were only about 30-40 kits produced and maybe 1/2 of those actually flew. From what I remember it's a good thing as they were not good flyers.