Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Instruments for Fisher FP202?

Question: Instruments for Fisher FP202?

Hi guys.
    I’m in the process of buying an Fisher FP202. Because we’re going to replace the fuel tank, we’re going to have to rebuild the instrument panel.
    I’ve been flying Cessna 150’s and am quiet comfortable with the instruments in that airplane.
    Since we are going to rebuild the panel in the FP202, what instruments should I buy to install in it?
    And more importantly, where should I buy those instruments from?

What instruments do you guys use in your UL’s?
    What instrument do you wish you had in your UL?

Can't help with the choices, but am wondering what instruments are already in the plane and why they need replacing?

US or some other country? Part 103 or Experimental Amateur-Built?

Ron Wanttaja

Considering it's an FP-202 and you're likely not going to be flying it at night or IFR... personally, I'd go with the minimum required instruments for safe flight, and use a GPS or tablet for nav if needed. Airspeed, altimeter, tach, fuel gauge (if you don't have a visual gauge), a compass and a slip/skid ball -- maybe not legally required, but a really good idea. Plus whatever is needed for the engine, I'm not at all familiar with operating a 2-stroke. What else would you need? Other stuff like a VSI, turn coordinator, attitude indicator... really not needed and a waste of money, panel space and weight in a day VFR airplane.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I used UMA 2 1/4 inch non-TSO flight instruments. UMA didn't have the exact Airspeed Indicator speed range I wanted shown in the catalog so I called them. They said they would make whatever I wanted at no extra cost. I ordered through Aircraft Spruce. I'm happy with the smaller instruments but I understand not everyone would be. You can get 2 1/4 inch instruments a little cheaper from Falcon but they are made in China. I spent a couple extra bucks on the USA company and was rewarded with good customer service. If you are comfortable with digital instruments you might check out Belite. They have a whole line of flight instruments as well as engine and fuel monitoring equipment. I agree with DaleB on minimal equipment. As slow as your plane flies you could even forgo the Slip Indicator Ball and use with a Yaw String.

Name:  DSC03921.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  94.5 KB

Nice looking panel. Whatcha building?

Assuming that it's got a Rotax 277 or similar, you might consider looking at what the paramotor folks are using for minimum weight and low cost. For example, this PPG Meter gives you a tachometer, CHT, EGT, voltmeter, and fuel level gauge with alarms for under $300 all in including senders. A simple combo tachometer/CHT gauge as used on two-stroke motorcycles is even less. Add analog or digital altimeter, ASI, and compass and you're good to go.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Nice looking panel. Whatcha building?
    Thanks. It's a Just Highlander. Received the Airworthiness Certificate in November.

Name:  DSC04147.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  98.6 KB

Nice airplane! Clever wheel chocks, think I will borrow the idea.

I made some just like those. Nice thing is, they break down for stowage in the plane so they take less room.