Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question: Instruments for Fisher FP202?

Nice panel, though you seem to have quite a lot of switches! ;-) What is the rectangular item above the throttle and below the battery fault lights? Also, I love the simple red scheme with just the two "speed stripes." Is that Oratex?

Quote Originally Posted by Tralika View Post
    I used UMA 2 1/4 inch non-TSO flight instruments. UMA didn't have the exact Airspeed Indicator speed range I wanted shown in the catalog so I called them. They said they would make whatever I wanted at no extra cost. I ordered through Aircraft Spruce. I'm happy with the smaller instruments but I understand not everyone would be. You can get 2 1/4 inch instruments a little cheaper from Falcon but they are made in China. I spent a couple extra bucks on the USA company and was rewarded with good customer service. If you are comfortable with digital instruments you might check out Belite. They have a whole line of flight instruments as well as engine and fuel monitoring equipment. I agree with DaleB on minimal equipment. As slow as your plane flies you could even forgo the Slip Indicator Ball and use with a Yaw String.
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 02-27-2018 at 06:35 AM.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

I stole the idea for the wheel chocks from someone else. I glued the parts together so there is no chance anything will come apart when I don't want it to.

Sorry guys took me a while to get back here.
    Here’s a photo of what’s in my FP202 right now.
    As I understand it, the existing panel that’s in the airplane now will have to come out with the fiberglass fuel tank. Why? Because it’s built in with the existing tank.
    We will be replacing the tank with a stainless tank & rebuilding a new instrument panel.
    I want to keep it simple. I’ll be using an iPad mini with ForeFlight.
    So, what would you guys put in a new panel?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Airspeed indicator, altimeter, tachometer, CHT, EGT, fuel gauge, as a minimum. Oil pressure and temp if a 4-stroke engine. Compass if you plan to go anywhere.

Lightest weight and lowest cost are going to be digital LCD gauges (Tiny Tach, TTO, PPGMeter, etc.) for the engine function. MGL Avionics makes some simple LCD units with all your engine functions in one gauge and a combined ALT/ASI in another. GRT also still makes their simple EIS monitor and the two-stroke model is quite affordable. For analog gauges, Westach quad gauges are neat and you can find them with tach/CHT/EGT/volts and even tach/CHT/EGT/ASI (70 mph for ultralights only). After that there are plenty of options but the many individual gauges start to add up and the more functions you can eliminate (wire/cork or sight gauge for fuel level, little mechanicial compass, maybe do without EGT, etc.) the better.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    Nice panel, though you seem to have quite a lot of switches! ;-) What is the rectangular item above the throttle and below the battery fault lights? Also, I love the simple red scheme with just the two "speed stripes." Is that Oratex?
    That is the Viking View Engine Information Display. It monitors and displays everything related to the engine and electrical system.
    https://www.shop.vikingaircraftengin...?categoryId=-1

The plane is covered with ceconite and painted with Stewarts. The stripes are vinyl, custom made but inexpensive.
    http://www.avgrafix.com/index.html

I'm ordering some 3inch vinyl custom script lettering for the cowling, "Highlander" in white. I think it will balance out the front of the plane with the strips. I bought the N numbers seen on the tail from the same company.
    https://doityourselflettering.com
    Last edited by Tralika; 03-03-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks, Trailka. I think your last link should be https://doityourselflettering.com/
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info