Thread: Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B Out - Feedback Requested

Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B Out - Feedback Requested

Hello all.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the Garmin GDL-82 ADS-B Out system?

I am thinking about purchasing/installing one in my aircraft but I was hoping to get some feedback on the unit before doing so. I only need a basic system to meet the 2020 requirement and the GDL-82 looks like a good value for the money. I currently have a King KT76C transponder and I believe that it is compatible with the Garmin product.

Your comments would be welcomed. Thank you.

Chris

I just put a Garmin GDL 82 and a GDL 39R in my plane. The installation was pretty easy. There is no need to connect it to a separate GPS/WAAS source. Once I entered the correct Mode S code into the unit it performed very well. Blame that on my tired eyes. The GDL 39R connects to my iPad via Bluetooth for traffic and weather. I was able to keep my Apollo Mode C transponder. There are two antennas and some cable and connectors you will need to but in addition to the two units from Garmin. The total cost for everything was under $3K, not counting the iPad.

The GDL 82 is a UAT unit, so it only works in the US as I understand it. I can receive all ADS-B signals with the GDL 39R.

Dave Prizio

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Prizio View Post
    I just put a Garmin GDL 82 and a GDL 39R in my plane. The installation was pretty easy. There is no need to connect it to a separate GPS/WAAS source. Once I entered the correct Mode S code into the unit it performed very well. Blame that on my tired eyes. The GDL 39R connects to my iPad via Bluetooth for traffic and weather. I was able to keep my Apollo Mode C transponder. There are two antennas and some cable and connectors you will need to but in addition to the two units from Garmin. The total cost for everything was under $3K, not counting the iPad.

The GDL 82 is a UAT unit, so it only works in the US as I understand it. I can receive all ADS-B signals with the GDL 39R.

Dave Prizio
    Hi Dave.

Thank you for your feedback. It sounds like you didn't experience any surprises during the installation. I previously placed a $200 deposit for the ill-fated NavWorx ADS-B system so I'm just trying to get as much information as possible before making the purchase. Thanks again!

Chris