Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Helicopter Pilots out there?

Any Helicopter Pilots out there?

Hello, All!

Any helicopter pilots out there who'd like to share experiences & advice, I'd love to hear it, no matter where you're at in your journey.
    I'm an Instrument-Rated Heli pilot just finishing Commercial & CFI, and you know how it is...the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know!

Fly safe & keep the shiny side up!

Do autogyro pilots count?

"The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport"— Orville Wright
    Tim OConnor, CFI, Commercial Pilot Rotorcraft, Sport Pilot Fixed Wing, FAA Advanced Ground Instructor:..
    You CAN Afford to FLY ! --> http://www.YouCanAffordToBeAPilot.com

AirMarshall, have you found any opportunities to make a living, even a very modest one, for a low time rotary pilot?

Yeah I have a 1962 BrantlyB2A that I,ve owned a few years. I received my private and commercial rotorcraft rating in it. I also have an RV-6 that I built 16 years ago. Love'm both. You cansee the Brantly fly on youtube. Type in "Brantly Experience.
    Lynn Gooch

Hi every one, I have a R44; 1300hr Commercial pilot, flew my R44 to Oshkosh from Cleveland area for my first time to Oshkosh, will do it again next year. Do a lot of flying for business, long distances. if your ever in the area, my helipad is always open OA21 , view it on airnav.com,

Howdy. Lou here. I fly an MD500 for a police dept in suburban ATL. I was a 400 hour fixed wing private pilot and a street cop before my dept taught me to fly the chopper. I've been flying, mostly on the night shift, for 4 years now. Having a blast and probably the luckiest guy I know. Living the dream....

Pilotcopper, is the Dunkin Donuts parking lot large enough to land in ?

Two quick heli stories:
    I am not a heli pilot myself, only had a couple of rides, really enjoyed the one at EAA over the show, too short however.
    A good friend, Betty Pfister, who just passed away at 90, was a WASP , and flew most everything cool back then, T-6, P-39( she owned and donate the one in Smithsonian) B-25, B-17, C-47. She became a heli pilot an really liked them, her last plane ride was in one. A great lady.
    There is a local Denver charity that raises money for cancer research for kids, The Morgan Adams foundation. There are many items donated to sell to raise funds, from a John Elway jersey to a week in Paris ( the big one, not the Texas one) and one of the most popular ones is the right along flight in the Denver police helicopter on night patrols.

Any donut shop, can do

Hey Bill,We fly the civvie version of a little bird, so any parking lot with 3 or more open spaces will work.Thanks for the stories, love to hear 'em. I took the bell 47 ride over Oshkosh myself several years ago, very short, but what a view!I had the opportunity to ride along with LAPD on the night shift back in '08, and it was unforgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    AirMarshall, have you found any opportunities to make a living, even a very modest one, for a low time rotary pilot?
    Bump....

Become a cop!

Find a Law Enforcement organization that has an air unit, and join. Work the road for awhile, then transfer. At LAPD, you work the road for 5 years, but then you fly an A-Star every day and retire with an ATP and 10,000 hours...