Thread: C-47 Radio room pictures

C-47 Radio room pictures

I'm looking for pictures of the radio room on a C-47 as it came from the factory and equipped with the SCR-274N Command Set. Need pictures of the cockpit too concerning placement of the remote controls for the radios.

My guess is there is also a military manual detailing the installation if someone knows the order number. I have all of the manuals for maintenance of the radios and there are copies on-line if your looking for them.

Any information would be appreciated.

Might want to narrow it down to one version of the C-47, as there were at least 30 variants built during the war. Not all versions had the same layout or equipment. There were even a couple of recce and ELINT models built with that number of varieties, along with gunships, VIP transports and SAR aircraft.

Name:  C-47-Handbook-Erection-Maintenance-Navigator-Radios.JPG
Views: 1923
Size:  62.4 KB
    Name:  C-47-Handbook-Erection-Maintenance-Radio-Equipment-Rack.JPG
Views: 1500
Size:  58.5 KB
    Name:  C-47-Handbook-Erection-Maintenance-Radio-Operator-Compartment.JPG
Views: 1747
Size:  71.2 KB

The movie "Island in the Sky" is available for free streaming online. Almost all the airplanes are C-47s. Lots of scenes of the radio operator, though the camera doesn't pan through the entire area.

The bottom picture of The Other Ron's posting looks like a BC-191. Back when I was a CAP cadet, me and another cadet found a stack of these in the squadron "junk room." Didn't have the dynamotors, though.

Ron Wanttaja

FlyingRon -

Thanks for the pics.

Name:  C-47-Handbook-Erection-Maintenance-Radio-Operator-Compartment.JPG
Views: 1747
Size:  71.2 KB

This is the type of picture I'm looking for. The equipment in the top of the rack is the SCR-274N Command Set consisting of 3 receivers, 2 transmitters, the antenna relay, and somewhere is the modulator. What is unseen is the transmitter and receiver control boxes in the cockpit. I have located this picture on the internet but I don't know what tech manual it is out of.

The large set beneath it is probably a BC-191, or possibly a BC-375, and along with the set on the table, which is probably a BC-312 or BC-348, and the tall box under the table, the antenna tuner, made up the SCR-287 Liaison radio system for long distance communication.
    Thanks -- Dean

CraigCantwell -

By far the majority of C-47s came off the line with either the SCR-274N Command Set or the SCR-183 Command Set as mentioned in Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions, T.O. 01-40NC-1. Unfortunately, this manual, which is all over the Internet, shows cockpit pictures of the SCR-183 control heads.