Thread: A Good Flight Review

A Good Flight Review

Ive done a number of flight reviews, not every year since I often have done an IFR test in lieu of. But when it has been just the fr, they have all been done in one ground session and one flight. I have never had a CFI who was so self important that he thought the point of a fr was to prove how much smarter and better pilot he/she was than I am. But I think there are such CFIs unfortunately, the same type who drag a student out for 30 or 40 hours to solo or till the CFI gets that last payment made on his new car or boat. Ideally one should ask around before using a CFI, good reps follow just as bad ones, and also if one has any doubt ask before you start what is going to be involved. Almost any CFI can find fault if that is his objective. He can asks for a stall and then claim you should have recovered at the warning horn or buffet or if you did that, then say it was not ok because it wasn't a full stall. He can ask for an ifr approach if you are rusty even tho that's not required that you be sharp on that. Or it can be a meaningful learning experience.
    One day I was in Florida and talked to a friend from Warbird Advenrtures. He invited me to Kissimee, see our relica 190 and you can use our wash rack before going to Lakeland. So I dropped in, and we talked a bit about the teaching they do. I mentioned I would soon need a BFR., but they only had bout 2:30 till their plane was scheduled for another pilot. They could have said, we donlt have time, but they said lets do it. I have a T6 sign off, but hadn't flown one in awhile, I was adequate but not expert. We didnt have time for me to review the pilot notes to make sure I knew each power setting, I knew basic stall speeds and final speed of 70 knots. We talked as we did the prefight about airspace etc, and then we flew. I did almost all the flight, did taxi takeoff several landings and brief formation with their other T6, and a few loops and rolls. I was probably about a 7 or 8 on a scale of 10, safe but not polished or automatic. The CFI was trying to share the experience with me, not prove how much better he was in a 6. It was fun and I felt reasured that if I spent a hour or so with the notes in the cockpit I'd be a solid 8 maybe 9, no problems flying it safely. His only suggested change was that I zig zag more for taxi. I usually do that, but there was no other traffic. And I washed my plane for free. Good guys, and worth the money. If youve not flown a T6 you missed a heck of an airplane.
    Footnote, I had a few months till the BFR was due, but I had an incident on the ground later and it was a good thing I had all the required sign offs.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-16-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Got my first ever flight in a T 6 the middle of January about two weeks before my knee replacement. (I think he felt sorry for me because I had seen him take others for a spin before). We didn't do any loops or rolls but what a great ride. I'm sure when I get the chance again It will be more funner !!! LOL
    Bob

Good Flight Review

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Ive done a number of flight reviews, not every year since I often have done an IFR test in lieu of. But when it has been just the fr, they have all been done in one ground session and one flight.
    Wow! It sounds like you have close to the number of flight reviews as me. However, I have never checked out in a T6! Anyway, it sounds like our experiences with the fr are mostly the same. I believe the pilot should always identify what areas they would like reviewed and seek out the CFI that can help (even/especially if they are related).
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 02-19-2018 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote

The T6 is such a fun plane to fly but even more to really check out in it. It is demanding when you reach the edges of the stall envelope but otherwise flys just fine. It is an advanced trainer and when you are good in a 6 , you are good. Some people say flying a P-51 is easier than a 6 and I wouldnt go that far, but a 6 is no Cessna. And at Reno, stripped down versions of this old relic go over 230 mph, original top speed was 206.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    .... Some people say flying a P-51 is easier than a 6 and I wouldnt go that far.....
    I'd go that far and I tell people that often. I have little experience in the P-51 but a reasonable amount in the T-6/SNJ and as long as everything is working normally the T-6 works you harder. But there's much more to go wrong in the Mustang and things happen faster in that airplane so I was just praying nothing unusual happened when it was my turn.

And to drag this back on topic; I skipped the Stearman part of the training but I finally made up for that when I got my BFR in one a few months back. That was a fun experience but that's an airplane that works you pretty hard too! All in all a great experience with the right instructor for my needs.
    Last edited by cwilliamrose; 02-22-2018 at 12:35 PM.