Thread: Boeing and Rocket

Boeing and Rocket

Kind of an interesting interview of Boeing re the merger with Embrarer this morning. The CEO was also asked about Elon Musk and if Musk was the leading edge and getting more headlines than Boeing. The CEO said Boeing preferred to do the basic business that was growing and what they were good at, but that they were also building a 35 story tall rocket in order to be the first one to go to Mars.
    I wondered why anyone wants to go to Mars at all especially in view of the enormous cost and far as I can see very little real and known reward from a desolate and hostile place. I , may have missed something but haven't heard of any good bars on Mars. I have heard of a Mars Bar but only at the grocery on earth and its not as good as a Snickers.

And Snickers if the official candy bar of the Appalachian Trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I wondered why anyone wants to go to Mars at all especially in view of the enormous cost and far as I can see very little real and known reward from a desolate and hostile place.
    Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids. In fact, it's cold as hell.

Ron "And I think it's gonna be a long long time" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Kind of an interesting interview of Boeing re the merger with Embrarer this morning. The CEO was also asked about Elon Musk and if Musk was the leading edge and getting more headlines than Boeing. The CEO said Boeing preferred to do the basic business that was growing and what they were good at, but that they were also building a 35 story tall rocket in order to be the first one to go to Mars.
    I wondered why anyone wants to go to Mars at all especially in view of the enormous cost and far as I can see very little real and known reward from a desolate and hostile place. I , may have missed something but haven't heard of any good bars on Mars. I have heard of a Mars Bar but only at the grocery on earth and its not as good as a Snickers.
    Boeing wants to do it because someone will pay for it. There is political desire because the space program employs people in California, Texas, Florida, Washington, Illinois, etc. And there are a host of individuals who would love to be "first". So you have special interests who want it. Scientifically, I think you'd get just as much data at 1/10 the price with an unmanned mission. So, from a big picture standpoint, it makes no sense, but special interests keep it alive.