Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Review

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    No im not. A flight review is not a test-- in fact IAW 61.56, the tasks performed and how well they are to be performed during the flight portion, other than having to be at least an hour, are totally at the discretion of the CFI. I'm guessing you're thinking check ride. So I stand by my statement--it's BS. Show me by reg where it says I'm wrong.
    I'm not thinking of anything except the OP's question. You're going off on tangents that have zero to do with what the OP is asking. So, yes you are still talking apples and oranges--flight review vs. instruction--as per your previous example which is irrelevant to the issue being explored. As far as "flight review is not a test", please refer to post #5.

I already said I have no idea if there's a reg or not. You show me a reg that say's you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    My daughter has her CFI, CFII, and MEII. I was told at a meeting last night, that she can't do my flight review because she's my daughter/blood relative with the same last name.
    Is this true, or m I being fed a line of BS?
    The latter.

Thank you all for the replies. I figured it was all BS, but then again, I really DON'T know all the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I'm not thinking of anything except the OP's question. You're going off on tangents that have zero to do with what the OP is asking. So, yes you are still talking apples and oranges--flight review vs. instruction--as per your previous example which is irrelevant to the issue being explored. As far as "flight review is not a test", please refer to post #5.

I already said I have no idea if there's a reg or not. You show me a reg that say's you're right.
    Instruction is instruction regardless of why it’s being given: flight review or for a rating/endorsement makes zero difference. The same rules apply. Just because you don’t agree with my example doesn’t invalidate it.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Flight Review

You can disagree all you want, that is your right. But your reasoning is tantamount to nonsense based on seriously misplaced emotions and irrelevant familial relationships which only serves to illustrate that my view is more likely the one that should prevail.

"Flight review is not a test". Semantics! It is indeed an examination of your PROFICIENCY which will be and is quantifiable and qualitative. It requires an unbiased third party to make an evaluation.
    Reread FAR 61.56. It specifies exactly what a constitutes a flight review. As outlined in the FAR, there are "tests" that can substitute for the flight review. Those tests are not mandatory nor required. In fact the FAR clearly states the review is flight training. The FAR specifies what this training must include. It sets no standards as to pilot performance. The instructor is left to sign off the student has successfully completed the training.

No matter the pilot's proficiency level, the FAR (and correctly so IMHO), mandates every pilot must take the training. As we know, a good pilot is always learning.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DRGT View Post
    Reread FAR 61.56. It specifies exactly what a constitutes a flight review. As outlined in the FAR, there are "tests" that can substitute for the flight review. Those tests are not mandatory nor required. In fact the FAR clearly states the review is flight training. The FAR specifies what this training must include. It sets no standards as to pilot performance. The instructor is left to sign off the student has successfully completed the training.

No matter the pilot's proficiency level, the FAR (and correctly so IMHO), mandates every pilot must take the training. As we know, a good pilot is always learning.
    This missive and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee. It has zero to do with the OP's question.

"Flight review is not a test". Semantics! It is indeed an examination of your PROFICIENCY which will be and is quantifiable and qualitative. It requires an unbiased third party to make an evaluation.
    A flight review is a non jeopardy event. There is no pass / fail outcome. It's an instructional period and there are no restrictions of any kind regarding the personal relationship between person administering the flight review and person receiving the flight review.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    ....there are no restrictions of any kind regarding the personal relationship between person administering the flight review and person receiving the flight review.
    If that is correct, I am still of the opinion that it should be administered by an impartial/unbiased 3rd party.

If that is correct, I am still of the opinion that it should be administered by an impartial/unbiased 3rd party.
    Being related does not mean one can not conduct an unbiased flight review.

How about the two BFF CFI's that decide to give each other a flight review? Are they being partial as their critique of the other may have a direct impact on their own event?

Bingo, Marty; How many belong to a flying club, chapter, or any other arrangement with a CFI as a member; I'd bet most of y'all are pretty good friends, yet I'm sure you would still use him/her to administer a flight review. If for ease of scheduling, if nothing else. Taking Floats' assertion to the extreme, I'd venture that you'd have to find a new CFI every 2 years because the prior CFI could be said to have some type of continuing relation, which might lead to bias.

And yes, my son is a CFII; and, no, I've never used him for a flight review; he's always on the road, but that's the only reason.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton