Thread: Flight Review

Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I never failed a review yet,
    That's because it's impossible to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    My daughter has her CFI, CFII, and MEII. I was told at a meeting last night, that she can't do my flight review because she's my daughter/blood relative with the same last name.
    Is this true, or m I being fed a line of BS?
    Speaking as a CFI there are no regulations to prevent your daughter from giving you a flight review based on relationships.
    My only suggestion is before the flight let your daughter know that she can speak openly about any deficiencies she may observe. During the review the two of you will be switching roles and she will become the mentor. Have a fantastic flight!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    That's because it's impossible to fail.
    That's just semantics. I am sorry that I read this new stuff that is now required. Far worse than any check ride. I may give up and go ultralight like the others. I don't care what the FAA intended, this is a check ride.

"a. Unsatisfactory Completion of the Review. The FAA does not intend the flight reviewto be a check ride. If the review is not satisfactory, the CFI should log the flight as “dualinstruction given” and not as a “failure.” The CFI should then recommend additional training inthe areas of the review that were unsatisfactory. A pilot who does not receive an endorsement fora satisfactory flight review may continue to exercise the privileges of his or her certificate,provided that a period of 24 calendar-months has not elapsed since the pilot completed at leastone of the requirements that satisfies the flight review event as specified in § 61.56. "

No new stuff is required. Most of the posters are making it harder than it really is. The flight review is intended to have you demonstrate that you are a competent airman. That can be done in a whole bunch of ways. Last month I decided to see what flying a Cirrus would be like. Studied the flight manual, spent an hour going over "stuff" with the CFI on the ground. Turned out that in addition to Cirrus airplane info, the CFI knows some of the pilots that I know, so the hour was partly technical and partly social. But the CFI also got to size me up during that hour and calculate expectations for when we got in the airplane. A good Chief Pilot, and I hope a good CFI, should be able to initially evaluate a new pilot in about 5 minutes.

So we got in the airplane, I learned how the glass panel worked, and we launched. The CFI got to watch me work into the flight characteristics of an unfamiliar ship. Which is to say he could see me working to stay ahead of the airplane as I started to climb the learning curve of competency in that airplane. So the CFI got satisfied that I was a competent airman and I got to try out a new airplane. Worked for both of us.

I will suggest that the best BFR is where you learn something new while demonstrating your current skills. Which is to say go do an intro to acro hour or something new and challenging. Once upon a time I called up a well known aerobatic CFI and asked "Hey, could we do an hour in your Pitts for a BFR?" Amusingly, the response was "Well no one has ever asked me that before, but I don't see why not." The guy pulled the throttle back at the top of a loop and said over the intercom "So what do you do now?" A well spent hour and BFR.

All of which adds up to just go fly. It is not a flight test for a certificate or rating. If a CFI acts like it is, walk away and hire a CFI who will make it an enjoyable learning experience. Its your $$ and time. Negotiate a constructive session that improves your skills.

Best of luck,

Wes

New stuff is required in every new Advisory Circular. See link post 41 for 37 page AC.

For example, from AC
    b.
    c. Reducing GA Accidents. The FAA added important GAJSC (see chapter 2.1) findingsand recommendations to AC 61-98 pertaining to GA accidents.
    (1) GA pilots should become aware of this information and apply it to their personalcurrency program action plans.
    (2) CFIs should apply this information to their training and evaluation action plans.1-6. ENGLISH PROFICIENCY.

GA Pilots. The FAA supports initiatives designed to encourage voluntary compliancewith existing regulations and to maintain and further improve the GA safety record with aminimum of new regulations. As a result, the FAA has determined that updated advisoryguidance is necessary with respect to the currency, proficiency, and qualification needs of
    GA pilots. The guidance contained in this version of AC 61-98 provides such information andaccomplishes the goals of the personal currency program, flight review, and IPC.

Quote Originally Posted by redfire122 View Post
    My only suggestion is before the flight let your daughter know that she can speak openly about any deficiencies she may observe. During the review the two of you will be switching roles and she will become the mentor. Have a fantastic flight!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is EXACTLY what we do. We thoroughly enjoy all of our time(s) together in the airplane (all the time for that matter.
    Last edited by malexander; 02-17-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Advisory Circulars are just that, advisory. NOT regulatory. The FAA wants pilots to be aware of whatever their hot-button topic of the day is. Which is a good idea. But every pilot and CFI should be aware of the difference between regulation and advisory.

Best of luck,

Wes

Far worse than any check ride......I don't care what the FAA intended, this is a check ride.
    Okay, for discussion lets say the flight review is a P/F checkride. You have an off day and fail. Does that mean you have to land, get out of the plane and throw yourself on a sword? No!
    Get additional training in the deficient areas and continue on! I've done flight reviews where the pilot could not perform and/or did not understand a task. We just trained to proficiency on that task and continued, 5-10 extra minutes.

Have never understood the aversion to having one's proficiency checked. I want to know if I my skills are deficient. That's the only way to improve. The only way to know if something needs improvement is to be evaluated. Or as we say in flight training, have a skills measurement. I would never quit flying because I might not pass a flight review. Would an angler quit fishing because he might not catch any fish?

Fine motor skills like the ones we use to fly aircraft are perishable. They will atrophy if not exercised. I can usually predict what areas a pilot will have trouble with just by looking at their logbook and recent flying experience because I know what gets rusty first. Based on that I can usually advise how long a flight review might take, the 1 hr flight minimum, which is often the expectation may not be realistic in all cases. I can say that all flight reviews will be fun and with a wee bit of commitment the final grade will be a P (if it were P/F).

That was my point. A check ride is only an hour or less, I think. My last check ride cost $400 for one hour in my aircraft and about two hours of ground questions from the DPE.
    But you are saying a completed Flight Review can be any amount, it might be 10 hours. Which might cost $2000 or more if I go to a seaplane flight school and need 6-10 hours at $400 per hour. So I would need to be careful where I go for a flight review. There might be limited options for a flight review locally.
    This company offers a "BFR" for $325 if I want to travel to Florida https://www.jonesairandsea.com/seapl...eary-training/
    Should I expect to pass this $325 "BFR" with no prior seaplane time?
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 02-17-2018 at 12:21 PM.