Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Flight Review

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    That was my point. A check ride is only an hour or less, I think. My last check ride cost $400 for one hour in my aircraft and about two hours of ground questions from the DPE.
    But you are saying a completed Flight Review can be any amount, it might be 10 hours. Which might cost $2000 or more if I go to a seaplane flight school and need 6-10 hours at $400 per hour. So I would need to be careful where I go for a flight review. There might be limited options for a flight review locally.
    If I take a flight review and the instructor decides I need additional time to demonstrate proficiency, he has done me a huge favor. If I chafe at the idea of someone pointing out my flight deficiencies, I have demonstrated an attitude that more often than not will eventually be noted in an accident preliminary report. One of the purposes of flight reviews is to weed out the pilots who refuse to accept they are not proficient enough to be PIC.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 02-17-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Wes, in post 45 said go ahead and take a BFR in a totally new aircraft. So how should I demonstrate proficiency in a completely unfamiliar seaplane?
    It seems more like it would be an intro ride. I might do it. But does what Wes said comply with the current Advisory Circular?
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 02-17-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Wes, in post 45 said go ahead and take a BFR in a totally new aircraft. So how should I demonstrate proficiency in a completely unfamiliar seaplane?
    It seems more like it would be an intro ride. I might do it. But does what Wes said comply with the current Advisory Circular?
    A totally obtuse point. Seaplanes require a different rating from a land aircraft. Wes's example was for a different aircraft using an existing (SEL) rating.

The Flight Review is a simple process, thousands of pilots use it every year. Trying to force a more complex interpretation than reality is a pointless exercise.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 02-17-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    The Flight Review is a simple process, thousands of pilots use it every year. Trying to force a more complex interpretation than reality is a pointless exercise.
    Amen. Recently did my flight review, in MY airplane, for a total outlay of fifty bucks. The CFI (friend of mine) is an ex-Air Force airline pilot, and in addition to demonstrating that I'm not an undue hazard to those around me we got well outside the envelope of attitudes and flight regimes than I'd even been before. All in all it was a very productive hour.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

But you are saying a completed Flight Review can be any amount, it might be 10 hours. Which might cost $2000 or more if I go to a seaplane flight school and need 6-10 hours at $400 per hour. So I would need to be careful where I go for a flight review. There might be limited options for a flight review locally.
    Correct and a CFI should be able to provide a reasonable estimate of how long it will take after a simple interview and perhaps review of your logbook.

This company offers a "BFR" for $325 if I want to travel to Florida https://www.jonesairandsea.com/seapl...eary-training/
    Should I expect to pass this $325 "BFR" with no prior seaplane time?
    Call the seaplane company in FL and ask if the $325 is a guaranteed rate before you buy your airline ticket. I'm sure there are disclaimers in the fine print.

Before you sit down with any CFI for a flight review it's perfectly acceptable to ask: "Hey, how long can I expect this to take and how much are you gonna charge?" If you don't like the answer, you can say "thanks but no thanks" or you can say "okay, lets get 'er done!" You're the customer.

FWIW, can now take an online course to satisfy the 1hr ground training portion of a flight review which I've seen advertised for $29.95 (Gleim). Ask the instructor if they will accept that then all you have to do is fly. Might be a better deal cause I charge $50/hr for the ground part.

That was my point. A check ride is only an hour or less, I think. My last check ride cost $400 for one hour in my aircraft and about two hours of ground questions from the DPE.
    CFI and Designated Pilot Examiner rates have always been part of capitalism. They can set whatever rates they want. Charge too much for your product and no customers. Give people a good deal and they will beat a path to your door. Customer is free to choose which one he wants.

For my first checkride the examiner charged $60. It was about ~2 hrs of ground and 1.2 flight time. Pretty sure those days are history.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    A totally obtuse point. Seaplanes require a different rating from a land aircraft. Wes's example was for a different aircraft using an existing (SEL) rating.

You didn't answer my question: Can I get my BFR in one hour in a seaplane?
    edit: I see Marty answered.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 02-17-2018 at 01:58 PM.

My last BFR was in June, IIRC. We did it in my 150 at night. The CFI is an Air Force E3 (AWACS) pilot, and he did it for free. I think we flew for at least 1 1/2 hrs. I really learned A LOT.

My daughter did my brother's review last month.

You didn't answer my question: Can I get my BFR in one hour in a seaplane?
    I think it would be a blast but I think you'll need a seaplane rating beforehand. If you get a seaplane rating won't need a flight review.

All of my BFR’s were free and friendly in the past.
    Does a Light Sport Endorsement count as a Flight Review?
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 02-17-2018 at 02:57 PM.

A new certificate or rating counts as a flight review. I will suggest that an endorsement does not, by itself, qualify as a flight review. That said, the instructor signing off the endorsement can also sign off a flight review so long as the 1 hour of ground and 1 hour of flight was accomplished.

Seaplanes - The regulation for flight reviews does not specify that it must be done in any particular category or class of flying machine. 14 CFR 61.56 says "A review of those maneuvers and procedures that, at the discretion of the person giving the review, are necessary for the pilot to demonstrate the safe exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate." So you can do that as part of an introduction to seaplanes, aerobatics, LSA's, etc. That said, I read the rule as saying that you must act as the pilot flying to demonstrate your safe airmanship to the satisfaction of the instructor. Doing that in a new category or class of aircraft is likely to take longer than 1 hour of flight time, but if you are having fun and you have enough $$ in your pocket, who cares?

Be creative and have fun. If you are interested in seaplanes, Jack Brown's in Florida, and a bunch of other places in Minnesota, Maine, and other places will be happy to help you out.

Best of luck,

Wes