Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Review

Flight Review

My daughter has her CFI, CFII, and MEII. I was told at a meeting last night, that she can't do my flight review because she's my daughter/blood relative with the same last name.
    Is this true, or m I being fed a line of BS?

Total BS. There's a relatively new Private Pilot over on AOPA that got her instruction from her CFI husband. Next time ask these "experts" for a reg reference.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Total BS. There's a relatively new Private Pilot over on AOPA that got her instruction from her CFI husband. Next time ask these "experts" for a reg reference.
    You're mixing apples and oranges here. The OP is asking about a "flight review" which is a test and you're providing an answer to him based on "instruction", two completely different things. Did the CFI husband administer the flight test as well?

I have no idea if this is a reg or BS but logic, common sense and fair play tells me that it should be to avoid any appearance or practice of impropriety and favouritism.

Flight Review

I have no idea if this is a reg or BS but logic, common sense and fair play tells me that it should be to avoid any appearance or practice of impropriety and favouritism.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree more. If my daughter was a MEII, I would trust her more than anyone in the world to provide me a complete, thorough flight review. Flying is an activity that has many life-threatening hazards. I take the flight review seriously. This is the opportunity to spot not only rust spots, but to identify bad habits and areas for improvement. Who better to do the flight review than someone heavily invested in positive outcome for every flight.

I recognize that I am fortunate enough to have a daughter who loves me and would be critical enough to do everything she could to ensure I will continue to be a good grandparent for a long time to come.

Remember - the flight review is not a test. You can not fail. The primary purpose is to identify area for improvement. Who better to do that than a love one?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DRGT View Post
    I have no idea if this is a reg or BS but logic, common sense and fair play tells me that it should be to avoid any appearance or practice of impropriety and favouritism.
    I couldn't disagree more. If my daughter was a MEII, I would trust her more than anyone in the world to provide me a complete, thorough flight review. Flying is an activity that has many life-threatening hazards. I take the flight review seriously. This is the opportunity to spot not only rust spots, but to identify bad habits and areas for improvement. Who better to do the flight review than someone heavily invested in positive outcome for every flight.

I recognize that I am fortunate enough to have a daughter who loves me and would be critical enough to do everything she could to ensure I will continue to be a good grandparent for a long time to come.

Remember - the flight review is not a test. You can not fail. The primary purpose is to identify area for improvement. Who better to do that than a love one?
    You can disagree all you want, that is your right. But your reasoning is tantamount to nonsense based on seriously misplaced emotions and irrelevant familial relationships which only serves to illustrate that my view is more likely the one that should prevail.

"Flight review is not a test". Semantics! It is indeed an examination of your PROFICIENCY which will be and is quantifiable and qualitative. It requires an unbiased third party to make an evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    You're mixing apples and oranges here. The OP is asking about a "flight review" which is a test and you're providing an answer to him based on "instruction", two completely different things. Did the CFI husband administer the flight test as well?

No, no, no, I'm referring to a BFR.

She is pretty new at it. But I would think that if it were the case, I would think that the examiner would have asked something about it during the oral for the ratings.

The main reason for the question is this guy's 2nd cousin is a CFI. He (CFI) told my neighbor that he couldn't do his BFR for the reason I stated above. I sort of have a clue as to why he couldn't/wouldn't do it. <sigh>
    Last edited by malexander; 02-14-2018 at 06:36 PM.

I would bet $25 that there is no legal reason why a cfi cant do a flight review or any other test that they are qualified for just because they are a relative. I think someone is feeding you a line of bs, maybe their prejudice or just that they are uninformed. What kind of "meeting" did you hear this info? Let the person provide the relevant FAR to prove his point, if he can.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-14-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I would bet $25 that there is no legal reason why a cfi cant do a flight review or any other test that they are qualified for just because they are a relative. I think someone is feeding you a line of bs, maybe their prejudice or just that they are uninformed. What kind of "meeting" did you hear this info? Let the person provide the relevant FAR to prove his point, if he can.

I live on a private airport, and we were having a board meeting. One of the members told me this because he knew my daughter had just recently gotten all her ratings.

Oh, and I think some of it may be a bit of jealousy.

There is no regulation that would prohibit a "blood relative" from giving a flight review to a pilot. As long as the person giving the review is a properly certificated and rated instructor, the flight review will be valid.
    Cheers!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post

No im not. A flight review is not a test-- in fact IAW 61.56, the tasks performed and how well they are to be performed during the flight portion, other than having to be at least an hour, are totally at the discretion of the CFI. I'm guessing you're thinking check ride. So I stand by my statement--it's BS. Show me by reg where it says I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 02-14-2018 at 07:07 PM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!