Looking for suggestions on an aircraft to build that meets my requirements:
-Two place
-VFR
-Cheap, $30K or so.
-Capable of living outside, tied down
-Flying out of a 2100ft strip.
-No open cockpit-I'm in New England.
-4cycle power, no belt redrives
Hangar space is expensive and tough to find in my area. More importantly, the closest airfield has little hangar space available. Driving an hour to the hangar is not an option. I'm assuming wood, or tube/fabric construction is not going to work. Folding wings MAY get the AC inside sooner, easier to share hangar space when it comes along. Folding the wings and storing at home is a possibility but I've learned from years of boat ownership that having a slip as opposed to trailering means I use the boat much more often.... So metal is likely a better choice. I'm more inclined to lower and slower but I'm not seeing high wing designs in metal that meet my requirements either. Which leads me to Sonex. Seems that a Sonex can be built to plan, mechanical brakes, flaps, basic VFR instrumentation and a VW conversion, will get it done. So, would a Sonex stand up to outdoor tiedown storage? I'm assuming a cockpit cover would be mandatory? I'm not opposed to a full set of covers if they are worth it. Any input is welcome, TIA, RT