Thread: what are the best websites to warn other pilots of A&P's to avoid?

what are the best websites to warn other pilots of A&P's to avoid?

Sadly I have learned that some A&P's are not trust worthy. for over 5 years now I have been waiting for Glenn lacy of Bedford va. and hangers at the lynchburg va. airport to keep his part of an agreement to build me a 0-320 engine for my Hillman Hornet Helicopter I am trying to restore. I traded him a low time Cont. C-90-12F in exchange for him to build the engine. he took my engine and sold it and after 4 years we went back to Va. from Florida and retrieved the helicopter airframe and what was left of the transmission that he took apart. the deal was he was going to build me up an engine from spare parts and get it in the airframe to the hover stage. I had the C-90 listed for $10,000 . well I made it easier and took him a 0320 H2AD and another lycoming basket case. 4 years later i still had no engine so i brought what I thought was all my stuff home. when I get home I learned he did not return my pistons for the 0-320, he kepts the mags and carb off the other lycoming basket case. he lost parts to my rare Helicom Commuter transmission. and now makes no effort to contact me any more about the engine build.
    Glenn works on a lot of Cubs and other aircraft and I want to get the word out to others to avoid having him work on their aircraft. actions speak for them selves. he took my engine and sold it, kept my other parts, lost some of my parts and has made no effort to make things right.
    so at this point I think others need to be made aware of his business practices.

Publicity in this case may be good, but if you really have a case, legal action is the way to recover parts or money. If you are an AOPA member with legal option, talk to one of their lawyers. It may be expensive to hire an attorney, but there is a very cheap option, small claims court. Its a do it yourself proceeding, and the only direct cost is the filing fee,here $55.. They set a court date for a hearing, both sides make their claim to the judge, and you get a ruling. No lawyer needed, nor allowed. Only a couple of points to be aware of. First, what evidence do you have? A written contract? The judge doesn't know either of you, and cant give much weight to you saying what this guy promised if you cant prove that and he disputes it. Do you have photos of the engine or parts. maybe with the other party? If you have something to back you up, you may well win, and what you will get is a court rulling in your favor for an amount ,limit $7500, It is then up to you to find assets in his name the the sheriff can attach for this value. He may not have much or have them hidden in wife or parent's name. There is very little to lose from going to this court, most likely if you have a good case he may not even show up, so you win easily just as I did once. If you lose, the only cost you'd only have to pay his filing fee.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-12-2018 at 01:08 PM.