Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions for possible CH-750 builder?

Not sure if these have the power level you are looking for, but it appears they are in the 90-100hp range:
    http://www.raven-rotor.com/

These are based on Suzuki car engines. In a little looking at what they offer, it appears to me that the donor engines are not common in the U.S., but there is ample supply with relatively low-miles from auto recyclers in Japan. There's millions of these Suzukis all over the world, but they were only sold in a couple of models for a couple of years in the U.S. - so best bet is probably to expect to buy a complete engine / PSRU from Raven.

Raven is out of Colorado, if that helps.

There is a Yahoo group for Suzuki engines in general "Flygeo" (there is also a gear-driven PSRU out of a Canadian company for these engines).
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

CH 750 and Viking HF 110

Low and slow, I just seen your post on wanting to build a CH 750 with a Viking engine, I am three quarters done with my CH 750 (fuselage, wings and tail section are done). At Airventure 2011 I put $6750 down for the Viking engine and cowling. I was first told delivery would be the end of November (4 months) when I put my money down, then two days later it was posted on the Viking forum that it would be the end of December (5 months), now I hear only 25 engines are done and are going to be sent out the first two weeks of January (nearly 6 months), I don't know if I am one of the 25, I am hoping, because I have been ready to install the engine for two months. My advice would be when you put money down on the CH 750, put money down on the Viking, so your not waiting like I am. The viking website says "if you would like your engine in 4 months to put 50% down" this should be updated, because as the demand increases, the delivery time does too. I should have put money down sooner but I wanted to see the engine at Airventure first and Jan has done alot of improvments to the engine in the last three months. The few people that are flying with the Viking seem to love it, so maybe the wait is worth it. although, patience is not one of my strong points, need to work on that. Kevin
    Last edited by rabbithunter69; 12-17-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Arizona, Alaska, and various other places around the globe
    rabbithunter69,

$6750 down at Airventure and still no engine? That certainly doesn't contribute to giving one a warm fuzzy feeling about it...

I hope it works out for you.
    "You have to be alive to spend it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
    rabbithunter69,

$6750 down at Airventure and still no engine? That certainly doesn't contribute to giving one a warm fuzzy feeling about it...

I hope it works out for you.
    That's 50% or a bit more from what I hear. They have 25 engines ready to go to folks if I read their forum correctly (just google Viking engines).

They just switched over from a black anodized finish which is non conductive to a gold anodized which IS conductive, so instrumentation probes, etc. are a much easier install. There's a good reason to wait.

Jan really doesn't over promise/under deliver from what I see. If one simply subscribes to the forum, they are updated daily on every possible situation concerning the engines.

Hey, I'm not a shill, not connected to these guys in ANY way, just think they might have an answer for homebuilders that need enough torque to get a ch750 off the water with a passenger for half the price of a Lycoming, at least, with the promise/hope of at least the same reliability if not more. Time will certainly tell, but experimentation is experimental, right? Within reason, of course. Just because 'Lycoming', or 'Continental' is stamped/cast in Aluminum doesn't mean it's infallible. But if money is no object, you may certainly want to get one.

I'll just keep following their 'footsteps', see how it goes (I think they have 400-500 hours on one install at least), and maybe the picture will be much clearer when I need the engine.

Jackson

Not one to throw cold water on this, but has anyone else notice that the Viking site makes no mention of being involved with Eggenfellner? Makes me wonder why....

Jan does not hide the fact that his is behind the Viking engine, in fact he does quite a few interviews (Aero-TV, Dan Johnson) at airshows. He also does not hide the fact that his Subaru conversions had its ups and downs. I think this will be a very popular engine if Jan can keep up the supply with the demand. He has said the Searey and Kitfox factorys are interested in installing the Viking in their airframes and Zenith even says it's an alternative to the other so called "aircraft" engines it recommends. Zenith seems to be open minded when it comes to the engines installed by their customers. There are alot of people including myself who would not be able to afford to build a CH 750 with a $25,000 engine. Kevin

Arizona, Alaska, and various other places around the globe
    I don't believe Jan's trying to deceive anyone or hide anything. Most people seem to know, or quickly learn, he's involved. I also don't believe his failings with the Subaru attempt were intentional. Not so well executed, perhaps, but he tried. Maybe this attempt will be a success. I hope it is.

The Viking is an unknown at this point in time, but the only way for it to become a known is for guys, who have the inclination, to fly with them. The naysayers and certified-only engine people should fly what they're comfortable with, but they should also not try to disparage or discourage those who don't share their opinion.

I have many thousands of hours flying certified engines - both airplanes and helicopters - and they've definitely had their problems and failures. I lean towards alternative engines, but certified engines are OK too. Either one can contribute towards killing you. An engine failure, normally (out of the dead man's curve), shouldn't be a catastrophic event, but then, I may just be old school...

If it were me, I'd opt for a Big Bore Corvair from William Wynne at about 2/3 the price, but I'm glad Rabbithunter is going for the Viking.

Rabbithunter, between now and when you receive your engine, you ought to be considering a prop. It could make all the difference. I suggest taking a look at the Jack Norris/(the late)Paul Lipps designs.

Wishing you and the Viking success!
    "You have to be alive to spend it..."

Really, there's just too much speculation and third hand info re Viking here right now. The following 'tiny url' will take anyone interested to Jan's Viking engine forum of Dec 19: http://tinyurl.com/7frgyu8 It happens to include some great propeller info. Jan, by the way, pretty much insists on a particular 3 blade prop for minimum vibration and gearbox longevity - there's a prop test on that post.
    Many questions will be answered, and anyone can email Jan privately or publicly and ask what they will. There is tons of info re different applications of the engine on the site and much more.

Again, every pilot/builder needs to research, make up their own mind, and take their own 100% responsibility for EVERY choice and action building or flying, right? And we all accept, or should, each pilot/builder's final decisions for themselves.

'Nuff said.

Clear skies, fair winds and Merry Christmas,

Jackson

I'm another CH750 builder about 40% complete and am seriously considering a Viking. I figure I'm about a year away, maybe a bit less, from choosing an engine. I also would also consider a O-235 or a Corvair.

I figure by the time I'm ready the hours will be out on the Viking and probably a lot more will be flying giving a good indication of any issues.

The Corvair is nice, but if the Viking turns out to be great (and so far it seems to be) then you're looking at a modern engine with water cooling, fuel injection etc... That will be hard to beat especially at the price!

I am a Mooney driver itching to build and fly something low and slow.
    The CH-750 bug has really bitten me in the past several months. I drooled all over them at Oshkosh.
    I don't know what it is about that ugly little airplane, but I really like it!

I was excited to find this thread just now. To those building 750s, keep posting pictures and status updates!
    I am digging it.